Setup a new domain, 10-15kbps slow file transfer

Try setting the network driver on the server to work at 100MB duplex (instead of auto). I just had this issue. Are the OSes Win7? That's what I was dealing with and forcing the Server OS to use a set duplex mode solved my issues.

I just tried it both at full and half duplex mode 100Mbps. Neither worked. Client OSes are Windows 7. But it transfers to my Server 08 server at the same speed as the Windows 7 systems when bridged. I'll be trying to switch out switches and move the server to the router to see if that fixes any issues tonight and report back.

Hmm...
I used the most up-to-date driver along with setting it to full 100 Mb duplex and it fixed it immediately. I have a Broadcom NetExtreme II card and there are known issues. Did you go through My Computer Properties>Device Manager>Click on the driver of the card>and change it there?

Yep, Device Manager>Broadcom Properties>Advanced tab>Speed and Duplex>100Mbps Full Duplex>Repeat for second adapter.

I'll do the rest of my testing tonight and see what happens.

Tested the server connected to the router. Swapped cables, tried it on the other switch. Same deal. Tried some more drivers. Messed things up I think a little, started having problems with a single port transferring. I think the problem is in the driver. The Broadcom management console that comes with the driver crashes everytime I try to load it. I think that's the key for the bridge to work. With the OS being newer than the hardware, I think the server is at least 5 years old, they just stopped support on the NICs and there's no good driver for Server 12. I may swap out OS drives and run a test by installing Server 08 and see if that might fix it. I'm not a real huge fan of Server 12 anyway.

The SC430 also has a Broadcom NIC, single port, running Server 08 and I installed that driver and the Broadcom console works fine.

For now I just installed a PCI NIC on the T300 so I wouldn't have to deal with this Broadcom stuff now. It will work fine for everything except transferring files from a specific folder to the Server 08 server. Tested the problem files on the HTPC and Notebook, both transferred fine. And it will transfer files from elsewhere on the shared drive to Server 08 fine.

There's always something. :p

Well I installed Server 2008 and the Broadcom console worked fine and bridged, or "teamed" as it's called in the software, the NICs. Worked fine, transferred fine. Then I tried to enter a product key and none of mine worked with that particular installation for whatever reason. Then I found out I had a copy of 2008 R2 and a couple keys for it. So I installed that, which is actually better because I didn't realize until now that 2008 R2 is setup like Windows 7. Then the Broadcom console got installed. Unfortunately it's still giving me problems. The console won't "connect to the host" and can't see the NICs.

I think I'm done trying to solve this. One port works great and it's plenty fast enough for me now. One of these years I'll upgrade to Cat6 or higher and run all gigabit devices.

Back
Top Bottom