Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

setishock

Wizard of Wires
While I'm getting the rest of this thread sorted out, let's see if ya'll can tell me, what's wrong in these pictures?

169-dscf1044.jpg
170-dscf1073.jpg

185-dscf1065.jpg

Last edited:
95 to 100 F at idle.
130 to 140 F working simple things.
The VR's stayed pretty warm at 95 to 99 F being right next to the HS.

Last edited:
Referencing the pics in post #1>
In the left pic is a design boo boo. If you look close you'll see the heat sink is very low profile. It's, height wise, shorter that the blue MOSFET heat sink to the left, the blue VR at the top, and the slot 0 memory card. That leaves the vid card not real close but close enough to block a good chunk of air getting to it from the bottom. To the bottom right corner is the only open air path. The 3 case fans actually worked to starve the HS intake fan. Wiggle the mouse and the temps went through the roof.

Here's a look at the same area with out the heat sink in place.
171-dscf1075.jpg
174-dscf1080.jpg

It's obvious the area around the CPU heat sink is tight. A taller heat sink to get up out of the "valley" is what's called for.

Ref pics post #1 >
On the right pic is something I should not have let slip by. The heat sink comes with 3 stripes of thermal paste already on the center slug. The heat causes it to get soft and melt out to cover the slug. But it's obvious the pattern didn't cover the CPU very well. There is also evidence of pits and air bubbles that acted to produce hot spots and acted like a thermal blanket. There's what appears to be more along the out side border and a valley in the lower left.

The bottom pic shows that the paste stripes just didn't do the job. When the latches were released and the locking pins pulled up, the heat sink came right off.

So to solve the problem I posted a thread asking for heat sink recommendations. The best one was the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Under 50 dollars US from NewEgg.
Main criteria was 1> It had to bring the temps way down and 2> IT HAS TO FIT THE CASE. Last one I got for another build was 3/8ths of an inch too tall.
This time I I measured the case with a millimeter ruler, and more than once. I was satisfied that it would fit with room to spare. So I pulled the trigger on the VISA again and got one.

It's not flashy. The fins aren't chrome or ceramic plated. Just plain metal. " It don't have to be pretty, it just has to work. " It comes with all the mounting goodies for several different platforms. I read at other forums that the instructions are lacking somewhat, but I figured it out with a little help from an overclocking forum.

This shows the mounting kit.
176-dscf1087.jpg

It comes with 4 studs that have a non conductive washer already on it. The back plate which keeps the board from bowing. And the retainer clip.

It's really simple to get the back plate and studs installed. Just line up the back plate over the holes in the board and one at a time push the studs through. For the 1155 platform the threads go in the center notch on the back plate. Keep them loose until you have them all in place. Then using the supplied nut drive run them down. Do it in a lug nut pattern.
See? This part's done.
178-dscf1102.jpg
186-dscf1097.jpg

For the next step, remove the fan first. Plug it in to the CPU fan header and lay it aside.
Now the tricky part is test fitting the heat sink and retainer clip. I ran through several test fits until I was sure how it fit each time was how it was supposed to go.
I didn't take a pic of the paste on the CPU chip but I assure you it was all over the surface evenly.
I then set the mating surface dow and slipped the retainer clip through the heat pipes. Snapped it open to the right notch and lined up the hold down screws. Again using the lug nut pattern I ran them down a couple of turns each going round and round till they all were run in.
180-dscf1115.jpg
189-dscf1113.jpg

188-dscf1108.jpg
187-dscf1112.jpg

It's in and snugged down. Last thing to do is install the fan. The fan comes out of the box mounted to blow in to the fins. My memory heat spreaders are pretty tall so being on the right and blowing in wasn't going to work. It's simple to flip it around. peel off the bumpers and take out the screws. Flip the fan over and put them back in. DO put the bumpers back on. It won't fit right if you don't.
Hook the fan clips in on one side and push on the other side till the hooks seat. You may have to pull up on the clips to get them to seat. I had to hold the heat sink to keep it from getting pushed around getting the fan clips seated.
So it's all done and working great.
181-dscf1118.jpg
182-dscf1119.jpg

So now that it's installed time to take some readings. I fired up Core Temp and cleared out the min/max. This was at 12:30am. The autobackup is set for 3:00am so this should show any temp spike when it runs. The ambient was 68F.
184-temps-03-31-13-0800.jpg

I wasn't able to get back to it until 8:00am. Temps look good so far. When the thermal paste settles in it should go down even further. Um by the way this mornings ambient was 65F.

i have a coolermaster hyper 212....i know there a probably alot of people that like them, but i wouldnt recomend them to anyone, i mean i guesss for $37 it gets the job done....btut not any better then the stock one i had, im still seeing 38-40 idle....and 47-55 load temps....honestly i think the cooler is trash, im even using AS5 thermal

Intel mother board DZ77GA-70K
Intel CPU i5 3570K
Antec P280 case

What's yours?

i have a coolermaster hyper 212....i know there a probably alot of people that like them, but i wouldnt recomend them to anyone, i mean i guesss for $37 it gets the job done....btut not any better then the stock one i had, im still seeing 38-40 idle....and 47-55 load temps....honestly i think the cooler is trash, im even using AS5 thermal

Without meaning to be insulting, I'm tempted to just say you haven't done it correctly.

I know two friends that use this very cooler, as well as myself, and on all these systems it brings it well below what the stock cooler would.

On my i5 2500k for example, with this cooler and with handbrake running all night (a frequent occurrence for me) I very rarely see temps beyond 30 - and my box is sitting rather close to a radiator.

EDIT: Though having said that, have you got the EVO cooler? I believe there's two slightly different ones, and it's the latter one that I have the experience with.

Without meaning to be insulting, I'm tempted to just say you haven't done it correctly.

I know two friends that use this very cooler, as well as myself, and on all these systems it brings it well below what the stock cooler would.

On my i5 2500k for example, with this cooler and with handbrake running all night (a frequent occurrence for me) I very rarely see temps beyond 30 - and my box is sitting rather close to a radiator.

EDIT: Though having said that, have you got the EVO cooler? I believe there's two slightly different ones, and it's the latter one that I have the experience with.

nope, i have a coolermaster 212 plus....im not sure how i would have done it wrong? i expected my temps to be in the low 30's and venturing into the 40's during load.....but im seeing way higher temps

Back
Top Bottom