Random Chit Chat

I've spent the last two weeks working on my bike. I wanted a different look for it, so I decided to pick up some paint and give it a shot. Also, the flat black was terrible at protecting the tank from gas I always tend to spill.

Before:
IMG

After:
IMG

Still more to be done. I'm having issues in one little spot on the other side plastic with alligator cracking. The flat black was an enamol, and that might be giving me trouble.
I just used a duplicolor Victory Red paint. I'm pretty happy with the results. I plan on spraying everything with spraymax 2k in about 3-4 weeks to give it good protection. I also recovered the seat with some marine vinyl while I was working on the bike. That turned out pretty well. I'm not too happy with the quality of the vinyl though, seems too thin to last more than a few years. It was easy to do though.

IMG
The orange peel should polish out just fine with a few more coats of spraymax 2k.

This picture shows the alligator cracking problem I had. It was much worse on this piece, but it sanded out.
IMG

I currently have the handlebars and a few more little pieces in the basement ready for some flat black paint.

I'm in the same boat as Grantofhell, haven't kept up with technology much recently, my bike, cars, and snowmobile keep me busy enough. And sometimes I get to drive them too...

Looks like an SV. 650 or 1100? (I think the 1100's are driveshaft-driven but don't hold me to it)
I'm not big on bikes just because of the impracticality in my case. But then again, a boosted Miata isn't very practical either! :p
Looks good!

It's like being an actor. It's all in the presentation. Confidence, body language, articulation, mode of dress, and personal hygiene all play a factor in job hunting. What you know and your certificates come second. A bad first impression by a perspective employer will taint the rest of the interview. Respect yourself, cause it shows if you do or don't. I want some one that does.

Look over your resume'. How it speaks of you is as important as the content itself. If you over use the letter "I" it sounds like you're beating your own drum too loudly.

Check for meandering in how it's presented. Keep to the point. Put in the good stuff, leave out the rest. If I want to know something else, I'll ask you about it.

And the part that says you'll be an asset to the company has to be oh so carefully worded. If you're fresh out of a school I know you have no real world experience and will have to be trained to do it my way. That's a given. Instead I'd like to see something like, "Your company is a leader in the IT industry and I'd like to share my skills and knowledge in this field as a part of your team."

Phone calls are a serious no no. I hate that. Grinds on me just as bad as a bad customer.

Check yourself. Check your resume'. Drive out and speak to HR or the hiring agent in person. Shows initiative. Even if the company isn't doing any hiring at the time, they'll remember a well dressed, well presented person with a resume' that's easy to read and to the point.

Confident but not cocky. Clean and well dressed but not GQ. Articulate but not the king's English. Interviews are tricky. You have to be a chameleon. Able to read the situation and change to meet it.

Looks like an SV. 650 or 1100? (I think the 1100's are driveshaft-driven but don't hold me to it)
I'm not big on bikes just because of the impracticality in my case. But then again, a boosted Miata isn't very practical either! :p
Looks good!
SVs are V-twins, only 650 and 1000, both are chain driven though. Mine is a Yamaha XJ600.

It's like being an actor. It's all in the presentation. Confidence, body language, articulation, mode of dress, and personal hygiene all play a factor in job hunting. What you know and your certificates come second. A bad first impression by a perspective employer will taint the rest of the interview. Respect yourself, cause it shows if you do or don't. I want some one that does.

^^ That. Honestly, the only thing that certificates show me as someone who's done hiring is that you can regurgitate things well on a test. On top of what Seti said, your personality and being able to show that if you don't know the answer that your line of thinking could lead you to finding it are very important.

My favorite question to ask in an interview is "why are man-hole covers round?". People who look disgusted that they'd be asked such a weird question are not invited back for another interview. People who don't know the answer but have reasonable guesses are considered just as highly as those who know the answer assuming their line of logic was right. Remember you're in a computer field: you cannot, and will not know everything. Ever. You need to show the ability to think, problem solve and know where to look for answers during interviews.

Because its the only shape that doesn't fit inside itself and therefore it won't fall into the hole when it's removed. Do I get the job?

Look over your resume'. How it speaks of you is as important as the content itself. If you over use the letter "I" it sounds like you're beating your own drum too loudly.

Check for meandering in how it's presented. Keep to the point. Put in the good stuff, leave out the rest. If I want to know something else, I'll ask you about it.

And the part that says you'll be an asset to the company has to be oh so carefully worded. If you're fresh out of a school I know you have no real world experience and will have to be trained to do it my way. That's a given. Instead I'd like to see something like, "Your company is a leader in the IT industry and I'd like to share my skills and knowledge in this field as a part of your team."

Phone calls are a serious no no. I hate that. Grinds on me just as bad as a bad customer.

Check yourself. Check your resume'. Drive out and speak to HR or the hiring agent in person. Shows initiative. Even if the company isn't doing any hiring at the time, they'll remember a well dressed, well presented person with a resume' that's easy to read and to the point.

Confident but not cocky. Clean and well dressed but not GQ. Articulate but not the king's English. Interviews are tricky. You have to be a chameleon. Able to read the situation and change to meet it.

I am fully aware of this, Each time I do applications I go over my résumé to make any needed changes. You make some very good pointers there Seti..

Back
Top Bottom