The Most Vesatile Language

Mossiac

In Runtime
Hi guys.

I'm interested in learning programming. I have started to learn python but I was thinking...

Is python a good choice? Or should I look at learning something like visual basic?

I started with python cause I got the Raspberry PI and I was thinking vb because I found small basic that introduces newbies the vb. But I want to learn the most useful and most versitile language

Mossiac

But I want to learn the most useful and most versitile language
That language is whatever language you have the knowledge and tools to use in the most versatile way.

Ok fair point but what about the widest used language?

Or the best one to be able to learn programming and not just the language, as I know its more than just knowing a language, its also about understanding programming as a whole and why things work and don't work.

Mossiac

Ok fair point but what about the widest used language?

Or the best one to be able to learn programming and not just the language, as I know its more than just knowing a language, its also about understanding programming as a whole and why things work and don't work.

Mossiac

These sorts of questions invariably cause raging debates wherever they're asked. As to what the most popular language is in industry / academia at the moment, it'd have to be a toss up between Java and C#.

As you point out though, that's not necessarily the best factor (or the only factor) to use when picking a language. I won't go into huge amounts of detail here, I'll refer you to my sticky in this section (because I'd just end up repeating what's already there!)

Thank you berry120 for showing me that stickie very informative. And so I have decided to give Java a shot and see how it goes.

Mossiac

in my opinion, object-c seems to be on more platforms. mac, windows, and linux platforms can run it. i think there is a iDev application that can be run on the linux platform.

in my opinion, object-c seems to be on more platforms. mac, windows, and linux platforms can run it. i think there is a iDev application that can be run on the linux platform.

What one of those platforms can Java *not* run on?

Having a look on the internet at videos of java and can only really find how to make games and webpages. My question is can you use java for anything. Like with Python you can measure cpu temps and such (it is easier in linux to do this).

Mossiac

Having a look on the internet at videos of java and can only really find how to make games and webpages. My question is can you use java for anything. Like with Python you can measure cpu temps and such (it is easier in linux to do this).

Mossiac

One programming language doesn't fit all programming jobs.
There's a tool for every job and a job for every tool. Which means you have tools to do one job that won't work for another job.
Same holds true for programming languages. One language may be more suited to writing a temperature monitoring program while that same language gets overly complicated to write a game.
You have to pick the right tool for the job. You can pound a nail in with a pair of pliers but it'd go a lot better if you used the tool designed for the job, a hammer.
Get my drift?

I do get what you are saying.

So java and similar languages are better suited making games and web pages.

Just a passing thought, anybody know of a worthwhile website that lists the major languages with their strengths and weaknesses?

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom