Need some expert advice on an i5 build

I haven't used MSI products since my P4 days. I'll have to bow out on that question.
I'd bone up on the reviews for that board is all I can really suggest.

Why do people have this love affair with terabyte drives? How the heck do you back them up? If it goes blooey then you have a terabyte of data and irreplaceable memories gone.
I would strongly recommend a couple of 500 giggers and raid them.

The only situation that you'd need a 1TB or more would be for a file server on network in a workplace or another similar to that, Two 500GB drives would be fine. The only 1TB drive I have is the external hard drive my family has to backup important files, All the drives in my house in computers and laptops would be 640GB and under and I have my own portable hard drive that I use for various things including backing up my files and that's where all my files get stored.

Last edited:
Just FYI, I do photography and have a 2TB usb 3.0 HDD to store everything. Along with 1080p SLR video, the files add up fast.

As far as my gaming computer goes, 500gb is probably plenty. The 250gb that I have right now will probably be just fine for the time being as well.

I've been tossing around the idea of a SSD. However the price seems a bit excessive for the benefit. I'll either continue to use my 250, or snag a 500 for my next build.

I'm more asking about the RAM and Video Card...

I just picked up a full sized case today so I could go with a full sized board if I need to.

any suggestions for a decent board?

I just picked up a Powercolor 7870 Myst edition so I'm getting started buying the components for this build. My final (so far) list is as follows

CPU: i5-3570K
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3
PSU: XFX Core Edition Pro550W
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 low profile
GPU: Powercolor 7870 Myst Edition
Case: Thermaltake v3 Black ($19.99 at microcenter)

Anyone see any problems?

Might want to up the psu to provide for future expansion. I've got the Corsair AX850. It's modularized connectors make it a breeze to keep the insides all neat and tidy. 27amps on the 12volt rail and it's 85+ efficiency rating means it doesn't have a soda straw stuck in an outlet sucking down trons. Means it's easy on the power bill. $169.00 usd @ newegg. Microcenter might have it for the same or less.

Other than that I don't see anything wrong with your list.
When you put it all together don't forget to connect the AUX power connection next to the CPU or it won't fire up.

Yeah I think I'm starting to think that. I'm having a hard time right now pulling the trigger on anything.

Are the new AMD chips right around the corner? I know the intel are...

I haven't comitted to anything right now but I keep wondering if I should hold off just a bit and see what new chips come out. Its so hard seeing the i7-3770K for just $229 at microcenter. That chip could last me a LONG time.

My only thought is that eventually I might crossfire another 7870 Tihiti to keep up with future games. In that case I would NEED a better PSU. Minimum 600W...

Choices choices

There is always something "just around the corner" that is worth waiting for. New hardware is always coming out. You no sooner than finish your build and something new is released. You'll never be able to keep up. So unless you really want the new chips or think they are going to be vastly better than the current generation, you just have to pull the trigger on something that you will be satisfied with.

You're totally right. I guess I'm just a little bit dissapointed in the AMD line. I have been a huge fan of them, but it just seems like Intel is currently making a better chip. For some strange reason I feel bad for switching camps...

I hate to keep asking a million questions but I have one more for you guys.

I'm now debating the i7-3770K chip. I have a MicroCenter 20 minutes away from me and the i7 is only $40 more than the i5-3570K. I know that the i7's hyperthreading is pretty much irrelevant in todays games, but I am wondering if putting the i7 in there will help me futureproof the machine a bit more?

I generally only replace a computer every 3-4 years if that makes any difference.

Back
Top Bottom