Motherboard troubleshooting

Rrp45

Beta member
I just bought this motherboard brand new. I know my hard drive works properly and windows disc because I tested it on other motherboards. When installing xp, windows loads its files/drivers fine. When I get to the part where you select your partition for windows to be installed on, it either goes black screen or reboots itself. I've tested multiple drives and none have worked. Any suggestions

Last edited:
That's the thing, it reboots or freezes when that very screen comes up. It won't ever let me format the partition to install anything in the first place. Could it be a jumper setting ?

Hmm... Interesting problem you have.
Boot in to the bios and default it. Then make the optical drive the primary boot device and the hard drive the second. Some times it's that simple.
How much ram do you have on that board? Windows makes use of a ram disk to install the OS. If not enough or a bad memory card, it may crash. I've had some XP installs in the past crash due to a bad memory card.
Why are you putting XP on there?

Hmm... Interesting problem you have.
Boot in to the bios and default it. Then make the optical drive the primary boot device and the hard drive the second. Some times it's that simple.
How much ram do you have on that board? Windows makes use of a ram disk to install the OS. If not enough or a bad memory card, it may crash. I've had some XP installs in the past crash due to a bad memory card.
Why are you putting XP on there?

Mind you sir, for my setup I'm using an asus p7h55m-pro
And 4 gb of ram, both were brand new so I guess it's safe to assume they are in working condition. Believe it or not my DVDrom is setup as master, and hard drive secondary.
Here's a list of things I've already tried

- resetting CMOS (removed jumper and battery)
-tested 2 other hard drives
-switched cd rom and setup disk
-tweaked with several bios settings (memory timings, Sata controls)

I'm all out of ideas here, seems like my only resort is to return this motherboard

If you have multiple RAM sticks take out all but one. If it still does it, test all the other sticks one at a time.

Check the temperature of the CPU. If it gets too hot it usually restarts or shuts off.

Try installing a different operating system.

Thank you Everyone that tried to help. I brought the motherboard back to the store, he tried everything and finally we realized that the motherboard doesn't want to run of a single channel. It required dial channel to run. Never heard of it

That's odd. I usually buy sticks of RAM in 2 sticks of XXGB to run dual channel anyway. But I've never seen a board that needed to run in dual channel.

Hmm... That's interesting. Makes perfect sense. If you had 2 sticks equaling 4 gigs and both were in the left 2 slots, the system would see the total amount but in single channel mode. By taking the right most stick out and moving it to the same colored slot on the right 2 bank, it tips over to dual channel mode.
But I too have never seen a board that forced dual channel mode to operate. Usually it's automatic.

The only time I have ever seen a board that needed all memory slots populated was with the old P4s that used RAMBUS. If a slot was left empty, the system wouldn't boot.

Back
Top Bottom