Windows 7: Possibly Corrupt?

gmorgan

Solid State Member
Hi, this is my first post, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

So, lately I have been having relatively major problems with my computer, specifically involving various programs. A few weeks ago, iTunes began to not open. In the Task Manager window, I could see itunes.exe in the processes tab, but there was no window open and nothing in the applications tab. About the same time, I also began to experience my computer hanging up on processes such as shutting down, and checking for Windows updates.
I figured this was a fairly major problem, so I researched the problems (after spending a couple days experimenting with iTunes specific problems) and decided to repair my copy of Windows. I did so by running the Windows 7 disk again and repairing the copy that way. Everything went smoothly, and I did not lose any files or programs. iTunes began to work again and I did not experience any problems with Windows becoming hung up.
Just recently, within the past week, I have experienced several programs beginning to act strangely, most notably Google Chrome. Chrome has always been my default browser, but it has since not been performing solidly. Some web pages, such as Yahoo! Mail will cease to function. They will become frozen and will only close after a few seconds delay. I have resorted to using Firefox for these Chrome problems. Also, downloads and uploads no longer work in Chrome. One solution I tried as disabling all extensions (of which I have many). This temporarily fixes all problems, but even if left disabled, the problems will begin again. Also, in the settings menu, I have it set to resume where I left off upon opening of the browser. This partially functions, as it only opens tabs I had had open a few days before, or at some point in the past. Checking for updates in Chrome also gets hung up.
I have also experienced further problems with iTunes. Songs when playing will stop, and the song will return back to 0:00. Along with this, multiple issues in Microsoft Word occur, such as odd spacing being set on the ruler.

I would be happy to provide any further information, and would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you very much in advance.

First, back up all of your important data.

You will want to run a hardware test, specifically testing the hard drive and RAM. You could use the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic toolset to test the hard drive and Memtest86 would be used for the RAM.

I'd check for viruses first as there may be a very nasty one within some of the preserved data after you did the repair.

Mossiac

Okay, thanks for the tips. My AV is Norton, if it makes any difference. It didn't pick anything up before the repair, but I haven't checked after.

Also scan with windows defender it should already be installed.

Just make sure you do the most thorough scans that they both have. It will take a while but it will make sure there is nothing on the system that shouldn't be.

Mossiac

Thanks again for the tips!

Norton and Windows Defender checked out, nothing was wrong.

I used SeaTools to check my two drives and they also checked out. Using msched.exe, I tested the RAM and that also detected no issues. The next thing I'll try is using CCleaner to clear the registry and defragment the hard drive.

I would get rid of Norton and try something else like AVG, Norton is a resource hog and loves to chew up ram.

This ^^

And, since Norton is the biggest kid on the playground, everybody is trying to knock him down. I recommend Avast to all of my clients.

Alright, I disabled Norton (I didn't want to uninstall until the subscription is up) and installed AVG free for the time being. To be honest, that in itself seemed to fix things. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to post here if things go downhill.

Back
Top Bottom