LP Deck

Mossiac

In Runtime
Hi guys not sure if anyone will be able to help but here goes.

I have a record deck and a new stereo. The problem I have is that it isn't very loud even with the volume turned right up.

Will a graphic equalizer sort this issue out?

Mossiac

Is there a gain adjustment on the amplifier?

A graphic EQ does not make music louder, it allows you to shape the sound by adjusting the levels of certain frequency ranges.

You used the term LP in your title and record deck in your post. I am going to assume you mean that you have a turntable, playing LPs (vinyl records) attached to your stereo?

There are 2 types of cartridges used in turntables (the cartridge is the part attached to the tone arm that contains the needle or stylus). The first type is referred to as ceramic while the 2nd type is referred to as magnetic. The two types require different inputs. The magnetic cartridge has a much lower output than a ceramic cartridge so there needs to be an additional pre-amp stage for a magnetic cartridge.

Since you are stating that the volume is too low, I suspect that you have a magnetic cartridge and it is plugged into a ceramic phono or even an aux input. Check to see if your stereo has an input labeled "Magnetic Phono" or something similar to that. If not, you need to purchase a "Magnetic cartridge preamp" such as this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2573420

Yes I do mean turn table, this is the reason I don't post on a Monday morning.

The turntable is reasonably new and the mini hifi system is mid range brand new.

I shall update as to what audio plug in and turntable I have

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom