Office 2013 Problem

atomichybrid

In Runtime
Hey guys wondering if someone can point me into the right direction.

I just a bought new laptop with office 2013 installed, I've opened some word documents. They open fine, its just there are some files that open but are missing a few pages, but when I open them in word 2010 on my other PC, they're not missing and its all there.

I would like to know what is causing this and how to rectify it. I tried to google some of these but no luck, I'm not sure if I typed the right phrase for the problem correctly.

Initially I thought it would be a compatibility issue but now I'm unsure what it is now.

I'm running windows 8 64bit.

Cheers

The two are incompatible. I had the same problem with spread sheets. Find what format in 2010 they are saved in. Then resave them as open document. Some of the formatting may be changed but that's easy to fix.
You will find out M$ doesn't bother to check version compatibility when they make a new version. I spent a few days rebuilding my daily report spread sheet. It's annoying but not too bad. Have you run in to the problem with onenote taking over your print jobs yet?

setishock,

Thanks for the quick response, I don't one note installed just Word, Excel and Powerpoint are the essentials. I'll go and try to resave them in open document, though I do want some fix towards this as I don't think I would be near a computer with word 2010 to fix it when I need to open a document that won't display any pages.

Cheers

Any Office file created by an earlier version of Office is readable by a newer version of Office. Files saved in a newer version are often readable by an older version (after some conversion) but, any new features used in the newer file that the older program doesn't support, won't be enabled. Office will prompt you to download a converter to convert the file if it is needed.

I work daily with Excel files created in Office 2003 (with lots of macros) that are completely usable in Office 2003, 2007, 2010 & 2013 so I know that backward compatibility definitely exists and M$ supports it 100%. There is absolutely no reason to convert your files to an open document format unless you plan to switch over to OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

No program can offer 100% forward compatibility.

Since you are attempting to open a 2010 Word doc in 2013, that should be 100% supported. I can't say why some pages would be missing. However, I suspect it may have something to do with how some options in Word are configured.

Open Options and under Advanced, look for an option labeled "Layout this document as if created in:" and there is a dropdown that lists different possible Office version layouts. I wonder if a layout was chosen there that somehow changes the page numbering or more in order to cause what you are seeing.

I work daily with Excel files created in Office 2003 (with lots of macros) that are completely usable in Office 2003, 2007, 2010 & 2013 so I know that backward compatibility definitely exists and M$ supports it 100%. There is absolutely no reason to convert your files to an open document format unless you plan to switch over to OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

I completely agree with that.

Since you are attempting to open a 2010 Word doc in 2013, that should be 100% supported. I can't say why some pages would be missing. However, I suspect it may have something to do with how some options in Word are configured.

I'm really dumbfounded about this too, I thought purchasing the latest software will be completely backwards compatible.

Open Options and under Advanced, look for an option labeled "Layout this document as if created in:" and there is a dropdown that lists different possible Office version layouts. I wonder if a layout was chosen there that somehow changes the page numbering or more in order to cause what you are seeing.

I have played with the options like you suggested and the pages are still missing, I only see the cover page and the contents page but I cant see the other relevant information, I'm not sure if this is a software glitch or something but I'll try to repair installation see how that works.

EDIT: I've made a repair installation hoping to fix this, but unfortunately its still acting up.

Last edited:
Guys!!!

I have found the solution to my problem!!! I was kinda lucky to stumble upon this problem, when the equation editor screwed my word documents. Apparently the 'Equation' thing was the main problem and the font with it was removed. So I went and downloaded the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack and installed it and now I can open the documents that had the missing pages.

I cant believe M$ did not think through this properly causing grief and anger towards its users.

Here is the link for the software if others are sharing the same pain:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=3

Thanks for providing suggestions and hope this helps future strugglers along with it.

Glad you got it working.

The Compatibility Pack is used to allow older versions of Office to work with newer file formats. You say you're using an older file format with the newer version of Office so it would seem that the Compatibility Pack wouldn't be necessary. Apparently, it installed the font you were missing.

I've never used the equation editor so don't know how that effects things but it makes sense that a missing font could foul things up.

The Compatibility Pack is used to allow older versions of Office to work with newer file formats. You say you're using an older file format with the newer version of Office so it would seem that the Compatibility Pack wouldn't be necessary. Apparently, it installed the font you were missing.

Yeah the file was done on 2010 and yes it should just run fine it was just the glitch on the equation editor, my report had a lot of equations and that would explain why the behavior was abnormal.

I've never used the equation editor so don't know how that effects things but it makes sense that a missing font could foul things up.

I use this a lot and looked into things and Microsoft's page of installed fonts and font that arent installed were listed for office installation. The font Cambria was in the not installed section which is the font that the equation editor uses.

Back
Top Bottom