Getting a product key off unbootable Windows 7

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I got a laptop yesterday as a trade for a desktop. It came with a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate. I did updates overnight and then left it on battery power as I restarted it this morning. Battery power was too low and the computer cut off as it was booting up. Yes I know, I'm stupid. So I plugged it in and restarted it. BSOD. STOP C0000135. Tried last good configuration. No go. Put in a Windows 7 disc and tried fixing it (startup repair, fixboot, fixmbr). No go. There's no restore points for system restore. Safe Mode doesn't work either.

All that's keeping me from just doing a fresh install is that I need the Windows Product Key to be able to activate it. I tried taking the hard drive out and plugging it in as an external to my computer. Then I used a program called ProduKey to try and get it. No go. The original OS on the laptop was Vista, so it has a vista sticker on the laptop, so the only place to get the 7 key is on the drive.

How do I either fix the problem or get the product key off an install that doesn't boot?

I've been looking all around on Google to try and figure this out for several hours.

Sounds like you need to contact whoever made the trade with you and ask them. If they don't have it, then it's probably not legit and therefore we won't be able to help much.

I have heard of a program called jelly bean keyfinder or something like that.

Ah, ok. Never used it so wasn't sure, just knew that it was out there. Sorry I can't offer anything else. :ermm:

Hey Jesusfrk611, it's always prudent to set up the power setting on any laptop to avoid things like this. If I'm doing some thing major like a large block of updates, I leave it plugged in. Only time my system is left doing something on the battery is during the day when I'm up.
After you get it back in working order you should set the power alerts up. Set low battery alarm somewhere around 30% and a annoying sound that will get your attention.
Set critical alarm to not less than 15% and a loud sound you won't sleep through.
As you found out laptop batteries run down at the most inconvenient time.

Yeah, I know, I was just being lazy when I got it home and left it on battery power. Lesson learned. I normally leave my personal laptop plugged in when at home.

Back
Top Bottom