CPU/MOBO/RAM Upgrade

Luke2

Banned
Hello all,

It has been a while since I last upgraded my rig, so here I am hoping to get enlightened from you pro's with some suggestions.

To start off, here are my full current specs:

Core i7 920 @ 3.7Ghz (Megahalems Mega Shadow Cooler)
Asus Sabertooth X58
Enermax Infinity 85+ 920W
24GB Kingston HyperX PC3 1600Mhz RAM
Nvidia Zotac GTX 480 Amp Edition
Corsair Force3 SSD 128GB (Boot)
OCZ Vertex Turbo 128GB
3 Non-SSD Hard Drives

I haven't been following the computer tech scene lately, so I pretty much have little to none knowledge about what CPU/MOBO/RAM would be the best bang for my buck currently.

My budget is no higher than $1000.

The system will be used mainly for Video Editing, and some gaming as well.

I did some research myself, possibly thinking about getting the Intel i3770K Ivy Bridge ? Or would Sandy Bridge be a better option in my case ?
I am assuming I will need a solid Z77 board for this ? As far as RAM goes, I would want a 32GB configuration, and for the CPU cooler, I was looking at a possible watercooling setup like the Corsair H100 maybe ?

As you can see, I am quite clueless when it comes to choosing the best hardware for my Video Editing setup.

One last note, I am fairly comfortable with some mild overclocking.

I will be so thankful for any of your guys' responses and suggestions.

Thanks!
Luke

Everything from the power supply down I'd keep. As far as the cpu chip I've got the i5 3570K cpu chip on an Intel DZ77GA-70K mother board. The board is one of Intel's top of the line. It's meant to be a workhorse. I'm very pleased with the CPU/MB combination. Not bad for under 500 dollars.
As for the visual bios setup, it would be real simple to give it a little nudge or floor it. They finally laid a GUI interface over the old school bios. It's nice.
Oh and it can handle up to 32 gigs of some hotrod ram. I'm at 16 on mine.
Over all it's a lot of bang for the buck.

Thanks for the fast reply,
I haven't really heard much about the Intel motherboards, it's usually Asus/Gigabyte/ASrock, but I should look into that as well and consider it.

As far as keeping the ram, I was under the impression that the Z77 boards run Dual Channel, not triple, so that means I would have to buy new sticks.

I guess, it didn't come clear from my first post that all I would need is the CPU/MOBO/RAM/Cpu Cooler.

I plan on keeping the rest of my hardware.
Also, the case I have is Corsair 550D

Sorry

The dual channel and triple channel is how the memory controller addresses the cards.

If you feel you can't use what you have don't toss them. Somebody will take them off your hands. I did find a 24 gig kit from Corsair at Newegg > CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9 - Newegg.com Not a bad price on that. Check the specs first before you buy.

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

As for the cpu cooler I use the Cooler Master hyper 212 evo. Nice and not a major PITA to install. If you go liquid cool some one else will have to help you there. I can control temps on air pretty good. Never had a use for liquid cooling.

Back
Top Bottom