Earthing An Anti Static Mat

Mossiac

In Runtime
Hi Guys,

I have been pondering ways to do this for a while and have thought of one rather easy (possibly wrong) way of doing so.

I was thinking that if I modify a standard 3pin plug so that there is only the earth pin left and connect the croc clip to that and plug it into a wall plug socket that this would be suitible.

Would this be ok and work it work??

Any advice as always very welcome.

Thank you,

Mossiac

If you leave the power cable plugged into the PSU and the wall (but turned off at the wall) your case is earthed anyway :) a proper static mat will have earthing anyway.

Earthing....LOL. It's grounding (ground plug) in the US....I was like 'what is he talking about'...

I don't know much about electricity, but I wouldn't put any kind of modified or damaged plug into a wall outlet. As wildcat said, a proper static mat will have it's own ground plug. And besides, I've never used one, just don't put the PC on a metal table in the middle of a carpeted room and work on it in your socks....:rofl:. I just make sure I touch something metal (like a chair or a srew on my desk) before I start working on the insides of a PC.

Thank you for you fast response wild cat. I coiled a piece of wire round the pipe and connected the mat to that. The transfer is complete just need a new cd drive to match now

Mossiac

....just need a new cd drive to match now

Mossiac

:blink: You went through all that just to change a cd drive. I mean, good for you for being cautious, but personally I think that's a little over-cautious. My work setup puts the computers above my monitors and so reach into them easier I stand on a metal chair...:lol: and I put ram in/take ram out, swap hard drive, swap cd/dvd drives. But I applaud you for taking the extra step to use the antistatic mat. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom