RAM how to split up 6gb?

CBJ023

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm planning on running 6gb of RAM in my computer. I'm still deciding on the motherboard, both handle over 16gb but one has 2 slots and one has 4. I heard about dual distribution of RAM and about the number of RAM sticks can make your computer faster? So I was wondering if 2x3gb would be faster than 3x2gb, any information would be helpful thank you!

As far as I know, 3GB sticks don't exist.

I have to agree. i am 99% certian that a 3GB RAM stick doesn't exist for a PC.

But if you are looking into motherboards that can handle 16GB then why not just go for 8Gb??

And I think (though not sure) that if you have the same amount of RAM in all slots it is faster. For example if you have 4 RAM slots with 4x 2GB it would be faster than 2x 4GB.

Mossiac

Four sticks would cause more strain on the memory controller and motherboard chipset. It would take slightly longer for the CPU to add and retrieve data from four sticks as opposed to two ... so my advice to you CBJ023 go 2x4GB (8GB RAM ... and spend a bit more on a good make and if poss matched)

I've heard 2 slots is faster because the data is stored between two sticks rather than spread out between 4. I was wondering if it was true, and made a big difference. I was using the 2x3gb as an example verses the 3x2gb I'm looking at 3x2gb and was wondering if it'd be good for gaming. I've heard 4-6gb RAM is fine for gaming, and I don't want to spend theextra money heading to 8gb because I'm already overbudget and will have to spend 4-8 months saving up to build the PC

Oh I got it the wrong way round. Still although over budget I think you should go with 8GB

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom