What Is Public Transport Like Where You Live?

We have no public transport system. No trains/subways/busses/taxis/nothing. In the 'big' city near us (about 15 minutes away really), they have a bus system, but I have no idea how good it is.

What country you live in?

I'm from Atlanta. Right now I'm away from there in the backwaters of the Mississippi river region. Bus? No. Train? No. Taxis? A few. Subway? You have got to be kidding.
In my home town it's a different story. Trains and buses and taxis out the wazoo. Taking the CCT bus you can go from Marietta to the Art Center in downtown Atlanta. Transfer to the train and go all the way to the airport on the southern end for under 2 bucks. This place I'm at now is a joke.

What country you live in?

USA. The town I live in has about 700 people. The "big city" has probably 40,000 people. There's only 1 taxi cab company and there are city busses but like I said, since I don't live there, I have no idea how good/bad they are. I know they just recently went through a major overhaul after dealing with years of complaints. But even in the 'big city' 95% of people own cars and just drive where they need to.

USA. The town I live in has about 700 people. The "big city" has probably 40,000 people. There's only 1 taxi cab company and there are city busses but like I said, since I don't live there, I have no idea how good/bad they are. I know they just recently went through a major overhaul after dealing with years of complaints. But even in the 'big city' 95% of people own cars and just drive where they need to.

I'm amazed a country like yours with your population size that you have limited or no public transport in small towns.

Here in Australia we have at least one form of transport available for any town or regional area, timetable could limit service to one or two trips a day in remote areas but at least you have a service.

Taxis are not counted as public transport here nor would I recommend them as they are a disgrace compared to other countries, if any I prefer to hire a private limousine, same price, cleaner & courteous & more reliable.

None of the small towns in my area have any public tansit. We are very rural, and we just all own cars. I can't think of any family that doesn't have 2 cars (at least). Usually theres 1 car for everyone that has their drivers license. Kids who don't have cars yet or are in high school but can't drive either catch a ride with one of their friends or simply walk/ride their bikes.

In Canterbury (the UK one) we have ok-ish public transport - pretty well connected, and you can get to most places you need to go easily (including London in under an hour.)

The downside however is constant delays and cancellations, and cost (especially on HS1, costs an absolute bomb.)

public transport where I am is a bit rubbish.

I can get a but one of two ways, (pretty much either going east or south) train stations are about a half hour drive away...

all in all I'm pretty glad that I can drive.

the public transport where i live is exceptionally good i think . I am 5 minutes walk from what is claimed as the busiest bus route in europe , regardless of the validity of this claim monday through to saturday 8am-8pm there is literally never a wait for a bus .
so I can get a bus into the center of the city I live in , From there i can jump onto either a tram or a train or other buses to get to almost anywhere within the metropolitan area that I live in and with 2 mainline railway stations I can also then travel intercity to ease .
this is why our family sold our car because it was a waste to use it to get to work when you can get a bus so easily and relatively cheaply in my opinion .we live walking distance to the supermarket where we do our grocery shopping so for us it was rarely used .

For one of the bus operators in our city a ticket that allows you unlimited travel for a week is £12 about $19usd and you can buy a ticket issued by the local authority transport regulator which allows you travel on any bus in our city for about £15 roughly $23usd . You can also buy tickets that allow you to combine bus and the city light rail service

I wouldn't want to rely on public transport. Especially not where I'm at. We have bus routes, but none of them stop anywhere near my apartment. I like being able to hop in my car and get somewhere on time without having to arrive too early or late depending on bus route times and such. There's a few taxis around, but you'd have to call the taxi service to pick you up.

Whilst my bus company currently still on strike they have decided to have no services running all day Wednesday and Thursday morning and its getting beyond a joke just over a stupid 2-3 percent pay increase,

Back
Top Bottom