Everything is in slow motion...

rmp5s1

Baseband Member
My desktop (i7-2600k @ 4.5ghz, 8 gb g.skill sniper ram @ 18xxmhz, 2x 60gb OCZ Vertex 3 in RAID0, 1x 1tb spinner for storage) used to be crazy fast. Booted almost instantly, maxed out the Windows experience, rocked the benchmarks, etc.

I've noticed a sharp decline in performance though: recently it's been taking 5+ min to boot, gadgets don't load on boot like they're supposed to, gotten a bsod regarding something to do with the kernel not being able to access some data a couple times...my Windows experience score for primary storage has even dropped. I thought it was just the RAID dying as it likes to do that. No big deal, I've been down this road before. Delete the volume, recreate the volume, re-image the machine from a backup. No big deal.

Well...in the process of doing this, I've noticed EVERYTHING taking a VERY long time to load, even in boot disks like the Windows install disk or my rescue disk. I've been sitting at the "setup is starting" screen for the Windows 7 installer for 20 min. The disk access light is lit solid. No matter what I try to do, everything takes forever.

Kinda starting to think it wasn't the RAID...

Kinda starting to think it's not even the drives. I even took them out of raid (the licence screen for Windows JUST popped up...probably took 30 min to get there. I used to be able to install Windows in 7 min on this machine, no exaggeration...) to see if it'd even let me install on one of them and it's still going Ãœber slow. I'm at the partition screen of the install disk now staring at the blue wheel.

Think a drive (or more) is dying? Is something else on the outs? Anyone have any ideas? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Oh, and as a real nice icing on the cake, I accidentally formatted the tb that had about 800 gigs worth of data on it, including the image I was trying to flash...

fml

Now I get to do some data recovery too...

Real fun fact...tried booting to a Ubuntu 12.10 live cd...nothing. took forever to get to the desktop and, once it did, nothing. Cursor won't even move. No responses what so ever.

RAM dying?

Faulty RAM doesn't usually cause the system to slow to a crawl. A bad hard drive would or even a bad SATA controller.

Yup...No difference.

I even disconnected all the drives and it was still crazy slow. I don't think it's the drives since I've tried every kind of hard drive configuration possible with the same results.

I'm just not sure what else it could be...

Did you do anything different to the system when the issue appeared? CHanged clock setting, updated BIOS? Anything?

Nope. It has been a gradual thing. It wasn't a real sudden change.

If this machine somehow killed ANOTHER motherboard, I'm gunna be pissed...

Back
Top Bottom