anyone familiar with backtrack 5 r3?

publicladykilla

Solid State Member
I've installed it as my only operating system and everytime I boot this error screen comes up. If you cannot see the pic good enough let me know and I will type the errors out. But after I do startx this screen comes up.

ForumRunner_20130317_222107.jpg
Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Backtrack is something id really like to get into. Thanks ahead of time

I apologise for the double post but after I uploaded that photo I see how blurry and hard to read it is. So it reads as follows.
Kernal command line: boot_image=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.6 root=uuid=5ba7036f-b754-4001-958c-9da0
9635f218 ro text splash vga=791
Xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.11
Current version of pixman 0.16.4
EE drm failed to open device
EE Vesa: kernal modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
EE fbdev0 fbioput_vscreeninfo: invalid argument
Fatal server error:
Addscreen/screeninit failed for driver 0

please consult the x.org foundation for support
Please also check the log file at "var/log/xorg.0.log for additional information
78.5105301 drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config error failed to set mode on crtc:6
Ddxsiggiveup: closing log
Giving up
Xinit: no such file or directory errno2: unable to connect to x server
Xinit:no such process errno3: server error

I have tried the wiki page and it isn't to helpful. I can't even get to the desktop. I had a hunch its a graphics driver but I am not savy enough with linux commands yet to know how to install one.

Last edited:
see if there is a minimal-graphics boot mode (or even a text only one) and make sure that works - I expect it's just the graphics drivers don't recognise your hardware as you said.

I assume you are aware of what backtrack is and what its main purpose is (security vulnerability assessment and penetration testing toolkits) - but I just questioned because there aren't many (any) people I know of who use it as their main OS. Frankly its not a very good one for any typical user. Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom