Case fans and direction of air flow.

madcratebuilder

Solid State Member
CM HAF 922 case, front 230 fan, top 230, side 230. The rear was a 120 and bottom a 120.

Interior has CM heat tube/fan on AMD 4.2 CPU, Arctic fan and heat tube cooler on vid card. I may use three fans over 16mg of memory if there is room. I think I well plenty of air moving around inside the case.

I think positive pressure well keep most of the cat hair out (I raise Bengals) Run the front, side and bottom in and the top and back out?

To get the desired direct it's just a matter of turning the fan around? Correct. Is there a better way? Remove the blades and reverse them?

I need to get cfm numbers but this should be positive pressure.

Open to suggestions and advise.

Turn the fans around. You can't pull the blades off and turn them around cause of the way the hub is made. To get positive the exhaust fans move less air than the intake fans. To get negative the exhaust fans move more air than the intake.
However you do it cat hair and cig smoke will still get in. Both ride the air currents getting sucked in by the intake fans. You can get fan filters to block course contaminates.
Fan Filters at Xoxide.com - Fan Filters
Fan Filters | Page 1 | Sort By: Product Title A-Z - FrozenCPU.com  

Most common computer case air flow

scenario7b1kc_zps7fb94e01.jpg

Well you do get an idea of how nasty the air is in your home. Pop on a filter and give it a week. On my rig the gapping maw in the front has a very fine mesh filter. About once a week I have to clean it. It goes from dark brown to a light tan. Curse of living next to a major 4 lane and I-20.

Edit: Now you have me wondering if putting a fine mesh filter on the CM 212 evo heatsink would help or hurt. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Even with the best filters you get a certain amount of dirt/dust/cat dander inside the case. I've read that 80%+ of house hold dust is human skin/dander (I need to stop reading)

A good filter that traps the dust is good IMHO, you then can wash it down the drain. Making it easy to either vacuum or remove the filter media for cleaning is the most important to me.

Even though I have a filter of my front intake fans, I blow out my case and radiator at least once a month.

Back
Top Bottom