Can't login at the Yahoo! jungle...

Okay, let us know how it turns out. :)

Hi Dale, I tried again but tired of running in circles, until I saw I could login with my Face Book. I did. But then I got stuck on a page that had no links for me to avoid and go on, so I had to join a sort of Yahoo forum to ask about this and am waiting for an answer. There's no end is there???

But my original search for which I've been having so much aggravation is: how to join my 2 group lists into one...

I thank you and all the others on this thread for being so kind and helpful. :) Adela

So it doesn't work on IE with default settings?

In response to your original research: AFAIK, there is no way to merge two Yahoo! Groups into one. The only method close enough to what you are trying to do is to add all the members from one list to another, either through export-import of e-mail addresses or by asking them nicely.

So it doesn't work on IE with default settings?

In response to your original research: AFAIK, there is no way to merge two Yahoo! Groups into one. The only method close enough to what you are trying to do is to add all the members from one list to another, either through export-import of e-mail addresses or by asking them nicely.

Hello again and thank you Dale. No, there was no difference with the defaulted IE...I may go back to Firefox when I have a chance though it's not holier than IE lol! But it doesn't seem as crowded with ads and offers a few more little advantages.

Thank you for letting me know how to eliminate one group, as I've been working double with the 2 lists. Problem is will Yahoo Groups allow me to mail to double the length of my recipients when I merge the two? I searched and someone said they dobn't tell the limit to avoid possible spam. So it seems I'll have to try it to see what happens. Any ideas on this maybe?

To ask specific questions on groups I searched the forum "listhelp" which in the past helped me set up my groups but didn't use in years. So I tried to reconnect with them here: ListHelp@yahoogroups.com but no answer. I then went to their website (which is really Yahoo's) and tried to sign in but gave up when, again, it carried me around in circles, perhaps because my FB email that I used to open Yahoo is different from the one I used with help list...I may have to re-register as a new person.

Oh well, my final goal is to get rid of Yahoo totally and completely, so for this I just pull up my sleeves for a lot of trials and errors filled with frustrations...

Meantime, following your advice, I'll email one of the lists to please move to the other. To do a formal invite or request to change, do I have to contact Yahoo? Again, thank you so much! :) Adela

Thank you for letting me know how to eliminate one group, as I've been working double with the 2 lists. Problem is will Yahoo Groups allow me to mail to double the length of my recipients when I merge the two? I searched and someone said they dobn't tell the limit to avoid possible spam. So it seems I'll have to try it to see what happens. Any ideas on this maybe?
Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean the size of the mailing list? i.e., the number of e-mail addresses? If so, no worries. Your mailing list can have many, many subscribers. Nothing wrong with this.

Oh well, my final goal is to get rid of Yahoo totally and completely, so for this I just pull up my sleeves for a lot of trials and errors filled with frustrations...
I think this is a good goal. I used to use Yahoo! Groups a lot. I no longer do this because this is a technology destined to phase out, and Yahoo! is not a very good operator. (Do you remember eGroups? They were much better.)

Meantime, following your advice, I'll email one of the lists to please move to the other. To do a formal invite or request to change, do I have to contact Yahoo? Again, thank you so much! :) Adela
No need to contact Yahoo! Just export the e-mail addresses from the one of the lists (the list that you are trying to move from) and import it to the other. There may be a throttle time to how fast you can do this.

Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean the size of the mailing list? i.e., the number of e-mail addresses? If so, no worries. Your mailing list can have many, many subscribers. Nothing wrong with this.

Yes, exactly the number of emails isent out at the same time is what I meant, and I'm glad I won't have problems sending double the number! Of course, when I suceed to kill Yahoo, I'll have to deal with whether or not my email server will allow the longer list...they also don't like to tell us the limit of emails allowed. :)

I think this is a good goal. I used to use Yahoo! Groups a lot. I no longer do this because this is a technology destined to phase out, and Yahoo! is not a very good operator. (Do you remember eGroups? They were much better).

eGroups must've been before YahooGroups? Unfortunately for me! I read on the net that emails are phasing out too due to the social networks. Too bad since although I am on FB, I find it too crowded and also rather difficult to navigate or...most probably it's me! lol! I prefer the peacefulness of emails but...it seems things don't last as long as they used to...

No need to contact Yahoo! Just export the e-mail addresses from the one of the lists (the list that you are trying to move from) and import it to the other. There may be a throttle time to how fast you can do this. /QUOTE]

Oh good that I don't have to deal with Yahoo on this! As to experiencing a throttle of time in doing the export/import...it's par for the course with sites like Yahoo isn't it? lol!

Thank you so much again Dale! Your help has been so valuable! :) Adela

Adela, just to make sure, you are writing from your e-mail address to the @yahoogroups.com mailing list addresses, to notify the members, right? If so, it shouldn't matter how many e-mail addresses are contained in each mailing list. Yahoo! will handle its own mail deliveries, so as far as the system is concerned, you are only sending to two e-mail addresses (i.e., the addresses of the two lists), which is quite all right. :)

Yahoo! bought eGroups a long time ago to become Yahoo! Groups. In my experience, mailing list is bound to phase out because it is not very personal in terms of achieving an immediate control of volume as per the signal to noise ratio, which is different to each individual. But a better technology has to come along first. IMHO, g+ came close, but not close enough; FB is still pretty far away.

Thanks very much for explaining about eGroups and the other groups. Is “g+” Google? As to: “mailing list is bound to phase out ” do you mean the email client lists? I'm sorry about it though they could receive plenty improvement. But compared with what's out there....I'm satisfied...but not with WLMail2011 as it's an atrocity of glitches! Changing my mail client was going to be my next project... :)

you are writing from your e-mail address to the @yahoogroups.com mailing list addresses, to notify the members right?

Thank you for reminding me. Yes, and I was thinking of writing only to the group I want to move. But wanted first to find the groups to see what's what, etc. I spent all afternoon trying to find them. I left a question on their search and hope I'll hear from them.

If the Yahoo site weren't so difficult to navigate I should've found the groups right away and taken it from there, or, I should've found that they were no longer in existence.

So sorry to write so long. I thought I had gotten to the end of the project, and am also sorry to take so much of your time, so please don't hesitate to stop your kind assistance at any time that you wish being that's taking so long....

Ever so grateful to you! :)

Last edited:
g+ is Google's latest social network, Google+.

Adela, I just opened up my old Yahoo! Groups account to make sure that I am not confusing the situation. :)

Yahoo! Groups used to have a very useful feature that allows you to import members from an existing mailing list. It seems like this feature is broken.

The export function still works. Towards the upper right corner of your member page, you should see an "Export" link. It should bring up a text file with members listed, and fields separated with commas.

But the export function is not very helpful with a broken import...

At the moment, it seems like it's only possible to invite members one by one.

Back
Top Bottom