My Subwoofer

Watahh

Solid State Member
Hi,
I Am Cheap. I Have A Laptop With Built-In Speakers.:rofl: I'm To Broke To Get Additional Speakers. I Want To Know If I Can Possibly Plug My Sub In My Headphone Jack And My Sub Plays Along With My Built In Speakers. Is This Possible, If So How???

#################
i am new, am i in the right thread thing?
sorry if not..
###################

I don't know much about this, but a few seconds on google and it seems like, while you can do it, your laptop headphone port won't put out nearly enough watts to actually power the subs. The end result will sound really crappy (if anything comes out at all).

I doubt it since the headphone jack generally disconnects the internal speakers when something is plugged into it.

I don't know much about this, but a few seconds on google and it seems like, while you can do it, your laptop headphone port won't put out nearly enough watts to actually power the subs. The end result will sound really crappy (if anything comes out at all).

Thanks, But I Don't Know What To Search For Is The Prob...:confused:

I think what maybe the most relevant info is that all speakers require power of some kind. It can come from an amp or in the case of desktop speakers, the USB or electrical outlet. While you can -in theory- hook car subs up to it, since they don't get power, they won't work.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm this or tell me I'm off my rocker crazy but I think that is what it will boil down to.

Like normal sound cards in desktops, laptop sound systems have very little output power. Headphones don't need a lot of signal to drive them (and people around you) to distortion. Speakers on the other hand require a much stronger signal. Since the line level out from sound cards and onboard laptop sound systems is not enough, you have to boost the signal with an external amp.
Now seriously you can't see your way clear to drop 25 dollars for a good sounding little sound system?

I agree that $25 is worth it, but check out some garage sales or thrift shops. You can pick up some good stuff there for $5 or less - and most of it works great still.

All the solutions posted so far ignore that the OP asked how he could plug just his subwoofer into the headphone jack and have it play along with the laptop's internal speakers. He didn't want to buy a new set of speakers (which would allow him to use the new speakers with THEIR subwoofer).

Back
Top Bottom