New Gaming Rig

samuelgatsos

Solid State Member
I am looking to do a new gaming rig for my upcoming years in boarding school, and eventually college. I currently have a Alienware M14x but I want to try and build a new computer. I want a desktop (since I already have a laptop) that I can use in boarding school and college dorms. I want something that can run most games on ultra graphics and something that will have crazy fast RAM. I dont need the best, but I certainly dont need the worst. I am using this as a learning process as well. What would you guys suggest?

Now that Ive done some research, I was thinking like 16 GB Rip Jaws for RAM. Corsair Graphite 600T for case. Intel i7 3840QM for processor, Nvidea 680M for video card. Corsair HX series as a power spurce. SSD or HD? And what Motherboard an Heatsynch should I look at?

3-4k .... You're going to have an amazing piece of machinery.

My thought process on designing a new computer is starting with the motherboard.

Always read a lot of new motherboards and a lot of user reviews. This is whats really going to help you out.
Always remember a couple important pieces of information of the motherboard of your selection:
-It's form factor. This will help ensure you have the proper Power Supply Unit (PSU) and the correct case size.
-Socket size. Make sure you pick the correct processor that fits the board. Purchasing the wrong size will cause mucho mucho grief.

Those are my main concerns when choosing a motherboard.

Next up, you want to pick a nice CPU. In your case, you'd be looking for something powerful, but doesn't need to be super powerful because you're going to be gaming on it. I would recommend maybe a nice i5, this ways you save some money on the processor and can go all out on the video card(s).

Don't forget, make sure your socket size matches that of the motherboard!

Now that we have our two main components picked, you chose some memory and your graphics card(s).

and go from there. Step by step. Keep in touch.

If you're interested in an AMD build, Check out this motherboard.

I will prob stick with Intel.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

3-4k .... You're going to have an amazing piece of machinery.

Always read a lot of new motherboards and a lot of user reviews. This is whats really going to help you out.
Always remember a couple important pieces of information of the motherboard of your selection:
-It's form factor. This will help ensure you have the proper Power Supply Unit (PSU) and the correct case size.
-Socket size. Make sure you pick the correct processor that fits the board. Purchasing the wrong size will cause mucho mucho grief.

Next up, you want to pick a nice CPU. In your case, you'd be looking for something powerful, but doesn't need to be super powerful because you're going to be gaming on it. I would recommend maybe a nice i5, this ways you save some money on the processor and can go all out on the video card(s).

and go from there. Step by step. Keep in touch.

Yeah its gonna be sick. I might be able to spend a little bit more. I already said the Power source, RAM, Processor, and video card. I know nothing about motherboards and heatsynces. I may also need more fans. Im thinking 1 or 2 SSD's. what do you think?

I'm thinking if you really want, get one SSD to boot your OS/Games. Maybe around 250GB. And get at least one SATA HDD for massive storage, around 1TB.

I only posted that AMD board because of your previous suggestion.

Now that you're into INTEL, this board Is highly rated, has plenty reviews and is a great all around board for whatever it is you want. It's a little pricey for some people, but since you've got a decent budget this should be no issue.

with this cpu should be amazing.

Look into cpu and memory timings and core speeds. This ways when you finally put everything together you know how tweek and and get the most performance out of your hardware.

If you do plan on using these pieces of hardware make sure to match everything to the motherboard specs, such as memory(RAM), PSU, etc.

As goes for heatsinks- I use a corsair H80 on my intel. It's a inclosed water cooled system. For what I do, it works great. Keeps my i7 @ 40ish degrees Celcious at load clocked at 4.7GHz.
Other people swear on air coolers. These can be very efficient as well.

The name of the game is to do your research. Always make sure you components are compatible with each other and that you are 110% on everything.

Back
Top Bottom