Case Cooling Improvements (need some ideas!)

here2learn1

Solid State Member
This is a two parter!!

Essentially I've got a 1st gen i7 920(D0) which I would like to keep running at 4GHz but I am being limited by temps.

There are two ways I need some assistance, one being if I can change the voltages on my OC to help reduce temps, if this is possible all I need is a little point in the right direction. I didn't mess with voltages as I was not sure if it would affect temps.

Secondly, the hardware aspect. I've got 6 120mm fans, 4 of which are quality, the other 2 are generics. The good ones are 2x Ultra Kaze and the other 2 quality ones are the ones that come with the Noctua Heatsink.

(I'll mention at this time, I'd like to avoid Water Cooling- that's for my next build)

Below is a diagram presenting my current airflow(don't mind the wiring, this case is huge and offers no wire management- However I don't see it as an issue)
pccolling_zps5913b1e2.png

I feel as though I did a good job with keeping steady airflow with little to no interruptions. I have a fan controller hooked up to the two Ultra Kaze 120mm fans and if I max the fans(2000+RPM) at idle I can still hit temps of 75C under heavy load(prime9) I have hit 85C in some cases. :(

I don't have any more room on this case for fans. The side cover is a metal grate to which I could affix another 120mm fan, however this would interrupt my main air stream and I feel would be detrimental!

So, if anyone has anything they can contribute with, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Brandon

Ref the pic and as I see it the right hand fan on the heat sink is right up on the exhaust fan. It's not really needed.
On the bottom of the case the intake fan air flow is being blocked by the empty hard drive bay. If it can be removed I suggest taking it out ( the drive bay that is).

What:
Case
Mother board
CPU chip
is that?

Ref the pic and as I see it the right hand fan on the heat sink is right up on the exhaust fan. It's not really needed.
On the bottom of the case the intake fan air flow is being blocked by the empty hard drive bay. If it can be removed I suggest taking it out ( the drive bay that is).

What:
Case
Mother board
CPU chip
is that?

Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
CPu: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz( Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920 - Newegg.com )
Case: ABS Full ( ABS Aplus ABS-Black Pearl Computer Case - Newegg.com )

I was actually able to make some awesome changes with a little more reading. By dialing in the voltages better and not leaving some options to "Auto" I was able to bring my idle temps down to the low 40's! Under heavy load, ie Prime95 I am still reaching 70+ nearly instantly. But doesn't quite reach 80C any longer. I also believe some of the "energy saving" features were throttling me pretty badly.

I also read about improving the negative air space by increasing the exhaust fan speed over the intake. Currently running the intake around 1000CFM and the exhaust @ ~1800CFM

The above seems to be doing a good job. But I am still always open to improvements. I'd love to get a little more out of this guy. Currently stable at 4.0GHz

21x Multiplier(changed from 20 previously)
BCLK: 191MHz
CPU V: 1.3(working on lowering)
DRAM V: 1.64v
QPI/DRAM V: 1.35v
CPU PLL: 1.88v
ICH/IOH: 1.2v

And I haven't begun using any timing changes to my RAM(yet)

Looks like you have room in the top for two 120MM fans. Make sure that the heatsink fins are clean of any dust and debris.

I kinda feel like that the grating in the side of the case is hurting airflow. You could install another fan in the side, just in front of the intake for the CPU fans this way they are being fed cool air.

Back
Top Bottom