Need help please

tewitt1949

Baseband Member
I posted a while back about my laptop boging down after 30 mins of internet use, then it locks up. I then have to run a program to clean it up. Then I'm good for another 30 mins. I did the tool box thing as suggested here, but no difference.
I was looking in the windows folder and noticed many sub folders (maybe 30-50) were printed in blue. Everything else is black. Why are some blue? Can I remove them? Need more info? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Its an IBM lenovo Model R60.

On example of the blue folders in the window folder is:

$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$ then in that folder is a folder "spuninst"

There are 81 of the folders in blue, The first have of the file name is the same except a different number at the end.

tewitt1949,

Are you receiving automatic updates to Windows? As Microsoft comes out with security patches and fixes, they are downloaded and installed on your computer.

The updates have a mechanism to back them up, and the folders in blue, are the instructions to undo the update installs.

Not to worry...

Blue folders just means they are the uninstall files and compressed by windows, usually marked as hidden. They shouldn't really be the cause of your slow downs.

Try turning off all the browser history settings, stop temp/recent files being remembered.
Other than that it might be simply heat. Laptops go nuts when their fans get clogged. Try blasting the vents with a can of air, you'll be surprised how often this is the case.

I think I may have found what has been causing my problem. I reloaded an earlier image to my hard drive and it worked great. But what was screwing things up is i was pulling out my external drive and memory sticks with out doing it safely, just pulling them out. After I pulled out my memory stick a couple times it really bogged down quickly. I reloaded the orginial image again, and was told by my PC guy to shut down memory sticks etc safely as it will corupt files and ruin things. Well I followed his advise and things have been working great for quit a while.
Has anyone else had problems by not shutting down and external drive before removing it? How important is it?

Yeah besides giving your computer a migraine it can scramble the contents of the USB drive.

I've got 2 64 gig memory sticks that won't do squat now. Can't format them or nothing. Is there anything I can do to get them working again?

I've got 2 64 gig memory sticks that won't do squat now. Can't format them or nothing. Is there anything I can do to get them working again?

I think there is a setting like "write caching" that enables you to "hotswap" your USB drives as opposed to stopping them via the "safely remove hardware" icon. I would stop my iPod for example, but nothing else.

You could try some 3rd party format programs, do they at least show up in "My Computer"?

Back
Top Bottom