Now this is a challenge

jetsmell

In Runtime
I downloaded the newest Microsoft Game, FSX Gold and had it up and running well. Had trouble with adding freeware in the files so I nu-installed the game, ran cc-cleaner, then went into to the files deleting some things that looked like it was associated with the game. Tried installing the game but got a pop up that said ; 1628 Failed to complete installation. Went on to this link Microsoft Games: InstallShield Error Messages and tried everything , but to no avail.Then I downloaded my old FS game with no problems. If it is a damaged installer, then the old game wouldn't work.I don't know why it would work for the old game and not the new. The new game did download in the beginning with no problems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I downloaded the newest Microsoft Game, FSX Gold and had it up and running well. Had trouble with adding freeware in the files so I nu-installed the game, ran cc-cleaner, then went into to the files deleting some things that looked like it was associated with the game.
Don't run CCleaner if you don't know what you are doing. I don't want to sound harsh, but there is no easy way to put this. This is really bad habit.

It seems like InstallShield is not corrupted in this case. Not in the usual sense. But rather you have corrupted the registry.

CCleaner by default would ask you to backup your registry before fixing. Did you backup?

Yes, unfortunately it only went back a day ( didn't do a restore point earlier).so that didn't work. Beginning to think it's a registry problem like the previous poster noted. If so how is that fixed?

Forgive me if I offended anyone when I posted the above post about " should I do a system recovery. There was no malice intended. I did it because I thought it was a new topic and it should be treated as such. Sincerely

Yes, unfortunately it only went back a day ( didn't do a restore point earlier).so that didn't work. Beginning to think it's a registry problem like the previous poster noted. If so how is that fixed?

I take it your OS is Windows 7 ? ... you could consider a Repair Install.

IS the problem specific to the game or does it present itself when you try to install anything using InstallShield?

Since this game used to work for you, it is likely that it has nothing to do with your existing software or hardware.

If you could run CCleaner again (be sure to use the right architecture, i.e., 32-bit for 32-bit or 64-bit for 64-bit), I believe there is a tool in it that helps with uninstallation (I've used CCleaner too long ago that I cannot be sure). If FSX is not uninstalled "cleanly," please give it a try and see if you can uninstall it fully.

The worst case scenario is that the registry is broken somehow, to the point that you are better off with a clean reinstallation of OS. But let's exhaust other options first. :)

Back
Top Bottom