trying to remove heat sink.... nothing works

Hvc801

Baseband Member
So, today I found out that I need to send my mobo back to manufacturer for defect.

Taking everything apart (which sucks to begin with) and now the heat sink wont even budge to lift from cpu.

I've tried it all..

Powering the unit up with the heat sink not plugged in, and what sucks is that it wont even get hot because the mobo is stuck in reboot loop!! HAHA, hilarious.

So I decided to pull out the 'ol hair blower, this puppy gets pretty hot. Applied long enough so that I can't even touch the heat sink and needed to use a towel. But still, NOT EVEN A BUDGE.

Now..... What can I get under there to try and get through the thermal paste? DENTAL FLOSS!!!! Holy shit I'm a genius! NOPE! Used about half the roll and all it does is break after a minute of rubbing.. I tried to add the hair dryer heat while I did it, nothing.

I NEED to send this mobo back to manufacturer!! BUT HOW AM I GOING TO REMOVE THE HEAT SINK!?!??!

Has anyone EVER encountered this issue?? If so, please share with my the remedy, because I'm losing it over here.... It's been a TERRIBLE day.

I think that you need to take again everything apart but take off all and if you turn motherboard around there sud be 4 small cooler plastic ends what is from PCU cooling.
And you sud be able to get it done

Nylon string. Floss is cotton. Saw under the contact point real gently.
Did you try twisting it off?
What thermal compound did you use?

What type of heatsink? Make sure that you removed every screw and or clip that may be holding the heatsink down.

I'll try the nylon string idea.

Its a Corsair H80 on a MSi Z77A-GD55 mobo.

Yes, I've tried twisting and made sure all my connections and contacts were removed. I cannot see anything else holding it down.

I used Arctic Silver thermal paste, I had no idea it was going to be this stiff otherwise I would have just used some of the generic paste I have. I heard arctic silver is suppose to be one of the top of line for cooling and o.c'ing. Which it was, kept my cpu at a steady 40 degrees Celsius on a load @ 4.7GHz.

But that aside, I'm going to keep trying to remove it. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for all the ideas.

Here's the thing. I got it off.

I had but wrong thermal paste on it. Instead of using a grease, I used an adhesive on accident. I know, I know- I'm a f***ing MORON.

But I managed to get it off with a little isopropyl alcohol and a little prying action.

Cleaned off the remaining adhesive and I'm good to go.

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it!

One of those DOH! moments brought to you by the makers of Artic Silver 5. "When you need to paste it, don't waste it." That's Artic Silver 5. "A little dab will do ya."

Just funning ya. We all make mistakes. Most of the time we just don't fess up to them. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom