Start working with Telnet

zak.

Beta member
hi everyone!
It's my first thread on CF
I just started work with telnet , and I don't know how to establish a connection using telnet , I have two pc's one running win 7 other win xp i wanna use telnet as practice on these two! what ports should I open before starting the session and how? cause I opened port number 23 as telnet on both but didn't work'ed out!
thanks a lot.

do you have a telnet server running?
make sure that the firewall on the server you're trying to connect to has port 23 TCP open. (that's the telnet port).

After you practice a little with telnet you will want to start using Secure Shell (SSH) as telnet is not a secure way to connect. In the program PUTTY you can select to use SSH instead of telnet....However, like 'root' said, ensure you have the telnet server running.

hey guys!
thanks a lot , I opened 23 port on firewall and checked the telnet server as exceptions but still can't connect using telnet , I checked with port scanner port number 23 isn't open yet! is there any other way to open it manually?!

If you are still having problems after you verify the telnet server and clients are enabled, I would shut off your firewall only if the device you are trying to telnet into is local and not over the internet. (Firewalls can cause many network tools not to function correctly even if exceptions are enabled) If it is local, make sure you disconnect your computer from the internet. However, if the device you are trying to telnet into is over the internet, then I would strongly recommend using a more secure protocol such as Secure Shell as telnet sessions are plain text and can be easily intercepted.

Thanks pilot buddy
I tried with firewall off too and the telnet is enable on both PC's , I just wanted to practice telnet actually , I'm gonna try it on other systems

Back
Top Bottom