Strange sound when turning off my PC

garirry

Baseband Member
This started when I changed my computer's graphic card. When I turn off my computer, it make a strange loud sound that sounds like a radio that doesn't get the signal (I couldn't describe better). Sometimes it makes this sound, sometimes not. Also, it couldn't be the speakers because I turn them off before turning off my PC. What it could be, and how it could be fixed?

If after you've flogged the stuffings out of the vid card playing games or anything else gpu intensive, you hear this, it's just the fan on the card doing its thing.
Try this. Next time you go to shut your computer off, let it sit and idle for 5 minutes.
Let us know if you still hear that sound.

The problem is my graphic card is fan less, and it doesn't make this sound while playing games. And I don't understand what do you mean by ''let it sit and idle for 5 minutes''.

seti means let your PC run not doing any thing (close all programs you had open then just let your PC run and cool down.

Is this sound coming from the PC or the speakers ?

Can't you take the side panel off the computer and shut it down and listen for yourself?

The sound is SO LOUD that I can't even approach from the computer while it's shut down. And the sound is too short so by anyway I couldn't figure out from where exactly the sound comes from. Note that this started just after I changed the graphic card.

OK then, what model is it?
Now this is an interesting problem. With out being there it's going to be difficult to track down what it is. So let's jump on the logic train.

1> Ran fine with old vid card. IE: no odd noises.
2> Swapped out vid card.
3> Odd sounds at shut down intermittently.
4> Sound is loud.

Something that did come to mind is you may be over taxing the power supply and that's cap sizzle you're hearing. What card came out of the system and what card did you put in its place?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom