Computer Randomly shutting off

superman22x

Golden Master
It's been awhile since I've done much trouble shooting hardware wise. Anyway, looking for some help from my fellow CF members.
Recently, my desktop has been shutting off randomly. When I'm on Netflix or something similar everytime I think. And I wasn't on for long, today it shut off after 10 minutes. Sometimes the screen goes black and sound stops. Sometimes the sound keeps going but the monitors just turn off. Which leads me to believe it's something with the graphics card. But I wasn't sure if anyone else thought it was something else going bad from old age? The processor is very lightly overclocked at 2.06ghz from 1.86. I used to run it at 2.4ghz with no issues.
This machine is old now.
1.86 ghz Core 2 Duo E6300
4GB DDR2 800
8800GTS 512mb
650watt Powersupply.

I know it's ancient now, but I had no issues running Solid modeling, Matlab, and video programs, which are the most I ever use it for anymore.

So what's usually the first part to go? And what do you guys think might be my issue here?

over clocking is bad for the processor and is never wise to overclock a processor, however it sounds more like a driver issue like wildcat said what browser are you running and is flash player and jarva up to date?

Graphics card temps were in the mid 60s (C), is this high?

I have the latest drivers, flash I updated pretty recently as well.

Everything looked good inside the case as well. I took the GPU out and cleaned it, but it didn't seem too full of dust.

My case mounts the power supply on the bottom, and the fan for the PSU pulls from below. I did notice that was pretty full of dust, so I cleaned it out.

Graphics card temps were in the mid 60s (C), is this high?

I have the latest drivers, flash I updated pretty recently as well.

Everything looked good inside the case as well. I took the GPU out and cleaned it, but it didn't seem too full of dust.

My case mounts the power supply on the bottom, and the fan for the PSU pulls from below. I did notice that was pretty full of dust, so I cleaned it out.

Is that idle temp ?

ok failing all this run a sfc /scannow test to check the system files in windows are correct and there are no bad system files such as ndis.sys and make sure the network drivers are up to date and performing as they should also check device manager for any obverse problems. and last thing to check while you are at it is the event log clear it of all events go on to nexflix and recreate the problem then check the event viewer for information on the problem.

it is also no harm in doing a chkdsk /r /f while you are at it.

do these suggestions first then we can narrow the problem down.

Kind Regards

---------- Post added at 02:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 AM ----------

also 60 is the high it should be no more than low 50's according to speckey.

Back
Top Bottom