• Windows 7

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Windows 8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ptrath12

Beta member
This guy I know told me that he prefers windows 7 to 8 and I just want to know what everyone else's preferences are and why it is actually better than the other.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

its obviously meant to be windows 8..sorry for the mistake.

I don't like the main difference between the two, which is the start menu on Windows 8. Might be good for a tablet, but not so much for a desktop computer. I really don't see any other notable differences between the two. The way Windows 8 is setup makes it so much harder to navigate. I'm sure I could get used it it, but Windows 7 is MS's best OS yet so I'm fine with 7 for now.

Yes I don't know a great deal about Windows 8 yet, I still prefer Windows 7 to 8 as it does what I need and want and I would agree with others who say its Microsoft's best OS yet. I think that Windows 7 maybe becoming the new XP.

It's not really fair to compare Win8 to Win7. They are really designed for 2 different platforms. Win8 is really made for touchscreens (whether tablet/laptop hybrid/all-in-one or whatever else). It just doesn't run nearly as smooth on a 'regular' computer.

It's not really fair to compare Win8 to Win7. They are really designed for 2 different platforms. Win8 is really made for touchscreens (whether tablet/laptop hybrid/all-in-one or whatever else). It just doesn't run nearly as smooth on a 'regular' computer.

But Microsoft are pushing it pretty equally on regular computers also, which is why I think it's perfectly legitimate to compare them - and thus to completely slate whatever moron it was who decided that would be a good idea.

I haven't used it on a touchscreen, so can't really argue much on there - but from talking to people who have, it's not as good as the more regular offerings (Android / ios.)

I *have* used it on a Desktop though, and there it truly sucks. It feels like a bad combination between the old and the new interfaces - you get the impression they didn't have time to implement everything in metro (I know it's not technically called that anymore but I'll use that name anyway.) Some functions, like uninstalling stuff, just whisk you back to the old desktop view from metro, others go the other way around. I can understand that with legacy applications, but control panel stuff that's baked into windows? That's just half implemented.

Perhaps my biggest gripe though is that in the new interface, which Microsoft seem to be slanting to completely replace the old eventually, you can only have *one* window open at any one time. A rather famous usability expert noted that it should be renamed Microsoft "Window" for this reason. If you do some extensive Googling, you can discover how to have a second window active to the side (via some convoluted process Microsoft describes as intuitive) but the flexibility with the old desktop view of having multiple windows open in multiple places has just gone.

And that's where I'm going to stop, because for me that just makes the whole thing worthless. Windows 3.1 had better support for multiple windows than that, and I can't sensibly work without them. Yes, I can customise it to show the desktop view always but that isn't the point. If you only browse the web every so often, and perhaps use the built in apps, then perhaps it's ok. But for any sort of serious use, it's ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, it's a half baked toy OS, an embarrassment that should never have been released.

All valid points, and yet I was able to use it on a non-touch screen laptop for almost a week as my main computer and didn't have any trouble doing that (though I did miss my dual monitors). So for me, I can't complain. Microsoft can push it however they want, but if you choose to believe that it's not designed for touchscreen computers than that's on you. I've used a Surface. I know a high level tech that takes his with him everywhere and loves it. I've think it is a fantastic OS for a tablet that you want to run network drives and printers and domain funtionality and multiple users and etc, etc on.

So for those reasons I think Win8 does have a place and that it isn't a joke of an OS. I know that puts me in a very small group (probably a group of 1 on this forum) but thats where I'm at.

Microsoft can push it however they want, but if you choose to believe that it's not designed for touchscreen computers than that's on you. I've used a Surface. I know a high level tech that takes his with him everywhere and loves it. I've think it is a fantastic OS for a tablet that you want to run network drives and printers and domain funtionality and multiple users and etc, etc on.
Oh far from it, as a touchscreen OS then it may well be good. No experience there. I think it probably *is* designed for the touchscreen, which is why it falls down so much as a desktop offering. Finding an interface that works well on both touchscreen / tablet and more regular systems has been a bit of a holy grail of HCI design for a while now. Microsoft are pretty much claiming they've solved it with Windows 8, but from my perspective, they've just invented another tablet OS that doesn't work properly on regular computers. My problem isn't with that, my problem is with the fact they're pushing the interface as a successor to an OS that, on regular desktops, works much worse than the thing it replaces. There's surely got to be something wrong there.

Back
Top Bottom