wifi theives?

why do some people leave there wifi routers unsecured?

maybe they want people to use there network and then look inside the visiters PC for important infor about the visiter like acount #s ect.?

Every router I've delt with in the last two years has shipped wide open.

May be a regional difference - all (ISP supplied) routers I've dealt with in the UK in the last few years have had security settings preset.

May be a regional difference - all (ISP supplied) routers I've dealt with in the UK in the last few years have had security settings preset.

Isp supplied I'll beleive and defer to you having not dealt with one of those in a while. I was talking just ones that you can buy at a store or online by yourself.

Usually newer Linksys routers are configured with Wi-Fi Protected Setup right out of the box. It's not great, but it's better than being wide open.

I've always used MAC filtering to keep folks out of my personal routers. If it isn't one of my MAC's logging in, then they don't get on.

Secure your wireless network using WPA-PSK2. And as an added security level, disable the option to broadcast your SSID.

MAC address filtering is more of a 'head in the sand' approach to network security. MAC addresses can easily be altered. This is not an effective method for securing your network.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom