How do I know if certain parts will work in my computer?

CBJ023

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm taking an old Compaq Presario 061 and upgrading it to a gaming PC. I know it will only take Intel processors but I'm wondering how I know if a graphics card will work in it? It currently has a HP P/N 5188-2907 graphics card (Utterly worthless literally sells for .99$ online). which is crap and a third of the size of the one I plan to install. Although they seem to have teh same plug in there are some minor differences. I plan on installing a AMD Radeon HD 7750 1gb graphics card. Looking at pictures on google can you tell me if it will work? I have other computer specs if you need them, and also are there any differences in hard drives in terms of how they actually fit into the computer? Thank you

Answering generally: parts have to fit somewhere, i.e., the motherboard. So once you familiar yourself with the specifications of the motherboard, you have more than half the work done.

Be mindful of the power requirement to run your system, and how parts should fit inside the case. Use Google to your advantage by researching for other user experiences.

That's pretty much it. :)

Are you sure it says AMD? It has an Intel processor, and a ASUS fan (Fan probably won't tell you much) And when I looked in the computer the fan was mounted with the four point square system that goes through the motherboard to hold it in place isn't that a intel based system?

And also if it says it has a maximum of 2gb ram how can I increase that? It has two slots does it mean the slots aren't capable of holding a higher ram? To put more ram in will I need a new motherboard, or just a new processor?

If it says 2GB of RAM max, then that's the most it can handle, no matter how much you put in. The limit is on the motherboard. That computer is pretty old so if you want to turn it into a gaming computer you'll need a new processor/mobo/ram/vid card/etc. You'll basically replace everything except the case and possibly the power supply.

Yea after learning 2gb max. I figured that my $300 budget is out the window now I'm looking at hopefully under $450 as it does need a new power supply, I did a power supply calculator and put in the parts I'd be putting in and it recommends 500W... my computer has a max. of 300W so everything must go except the case and the back fan! Thanks a lot for all the help guys I appreciate it

Wow I honestly didn't want to buy a full new computer because I'd figure it would come out costing more and did based on all of best buy's computers but I might just do that I just don't know if I trust that site but yea with a Radeon 7770 that would destroy the setup I'm planning and cost only $40 more but why would they have such a good computer with such a bad graphics card? I mean a Radeon 3000 really?

Tigerdirect is a well known and respected computer parts site. Probably 2nd to newegg. It's where I got my last pc from. It was easier for me to buy a kit than order everything separate.

Back
Top Bottom