Buying new comp parts, should I wait for the 8000 Radeon series?

Shippou

Beta member
Wanted to upgrade my computer because birthday but my friends mentioned the Radeon 8000 series getting released "soon".

I don't really understand how big is the difference between the 7000 series and the 8000 but should I wait for it? Speculations say q2 or next month.

:hide:

They are releasing the 8000-series because OEM for pre-built PC want seemingly new cards with bigger numbers on them, so they can sell better. The 8000-series is basically the 7000-series rebranded.

You could however wait for the 8000-series anyway, and see if there is a price drop for the 7000-series (although I don't think it is worth the wait because they will need to push for the 8000-series then, and so the drop won't be significant)...

Summary: don't wait for the 8000-series. Don't wait for anything. Get what you want now.

Oh I see, but how do you know it won't be any better?
You mean 8000-series v. 7000 series?

There is one common (and unfortunate) practice now, at least common amongst major graphics card brand, is to rebrand existing products by making it look better. These rebranded products serve as fillers between major development of products to keep people buying their cards.

They usually work hand-in-hand with OEM here -- it's hard to say who is more at fault. There is usually little to no difference between rebranded products and previous products.

Whether I know for sure that 8000-series is not going to be much better than 7000-series? I don't. :)

Back
Top Bottom