Microsoft Window Security Essential good or not

I use MSE right now and it helped me out a good amount of times. Caught a couple of viruses. This doesn't like WOW the game so really only bad part but way to get through it. I like it better than most free ones.

If you want to see if MSE is the issue you can always just disable the client and move around the computer to see if it is the cause. Unless it's doing a virus scan that is scheduled your computer performance should not of degrated the way you mentioned from MSE.

I bet another program is the cause. Ensure you go through your startup menu and remove any entries. This video shows you what I am talking about and also mentions other tips Fix Slow Computer

I use MSE on all my Windows boxes without any issues - does the job with minimal fuss, and seems quite lightweight too.

MSE is the best free AV out there. I used to be a long time AVG user, but that's been getting more and more bloatier so I switched to MSE. It's very lightweight. Doesn't use many resources. For those of you that say it does, might want to check your startup programs, more than likely it's many other programs and such that decide they need to run by themselves even though you never use them.

My view is that MSE is a good filler AV if you dont have a better pay for service. I just have a hard time trusting a free AV program, that and MSE has let a few things slip though that i caught later with a paid AV program...

I'm not about to pay for an av that eats up my resources. Practicing smart internet browsing will go as far as a good av program. Just because it says "Click here!" doesn't mean you should. Between that and reinstalling Windows every 6 months to a year I refuse to waste money on an av program. MSE works great as a free av and anything small that I got that never actually showed itself is gone with a fresh Windows install.

Just because it says "Click here!" doesn't mean you should.

That part is common sense, well for most at least! :lol:

Between that and reinstalling Windows every 6 months to a year I refuse to waste money on an av program. MSE works great as a free av and anything small that I got that never actually showed itself is gone with a fresh Windows install.

If I did installs of an OS that often I would be in the same boat as not wanting to pay for an AV service either. My last computer was around for 6 years on the same install before i upgraded :hide:

That part is common sense, well for most at least! :lol:
That's what you'd think, but common sense isn't so common when it comes to the average computer illiterate using a computer connected to the interwebs. :rolleyes:

If I did installs of an OS that often I would be in the same boat as not wanting to pay for an AV service either. My last computer was around for 6 years on the same install before i upgraded :hide:
I can't go over a year on one install, no way in heck I'd run a 6 year old install. I just don't want to put in the time to maintain an install that old to keep it running fast and smooth. I haven't been doing it as often recently, but reinstalling is easy for me because I keep stuff pretty generic so settings are easy to redo. Reinstalling purges the OS of all the crap, temporary files, possible registry problems, spyware/malware/viruses that made it through, programs I no longer use. Speeds things up, or rather for me, keeps it going smoothly because I only run services in startup that I want or need. Most of my data is already backed up on my file server. I just copy over whatever isn't. I use nineite.com which installs most of the freeware programs I use (ccleaner is the only one I have to download separately), then I pretty much just install other programs as I need them.

I recently got an SSD for my laptop and decided to use Windows backup to do the system backup after I set everything up how I wanted it. Might make things a bit easier in the future.

I've heard of someone that reinstalls once a month. That's a bit too much, but it's one way to not have to activate Windows I suppose. :p

Have used avast! Free anti-virus for years and has served me well and destroyed any virus that managed to infect my system.

I don't like AVG it has big system resource footprint.

Back
Top Bottom