Will You Be Buying iPhone 5 and Your Thoughts

Will You Be Buying iPhone 5

• Total voters
Using iPhone 5 right now. I think it is a good phone. My only complaints are a.) Taiwan's lack of support for LTE and b.) only third-party app available for Gtalk, which are not iPhone's fault. :D

The most important thing Dale is do you have a cool ringtone ? ... something like Crazy Frog ! ... :D

only third-party app available for Gtalk, which are not iPhone's fault. :D

Well, google developed an application and released it a couple years back, but Apple pulled it from their market, claiming it "duplicated functionality" or something. From what I've heard, the two theories about it are that AT&T forced them to kill it (maybe, but apple seemed to have a lot of control in that partnership) or they killed it off because they were pissed at google about android. If it were any other company, I'd find that idea ridiculous, but Steve Jobs kinda had total control and he was definitely VERY pissed about android. Also the fact that this was selectively applied to google but not any other similar applications makes it seem more likely to have been a political move of sorts.

Since everyone keeps debating iOS vs android, I have to say that it makes no real difference for most users. Both have pretty much every application you could possibly need. Maybe not the same one as the other, but you can generally find something to perform the same function. They're both plenty easy to learn to use. For geeks I think android is better though, simply because it allows third party software to have a lot more control over the phone. iOS has to be jailbroken to get some things that I consider to be pretty basic functionality. For example, it can't intercept text messages. When I had an iPhone, I had to pay AT&T $5 every month for them to block numbers. On android you just install an application, set the rules, and done.

Really, the hardware seems like a bigger deal than OS to me. If Apple had a bigger phone that I liked better than the android offerings, I'd switch. The OS is somewhat limiting to me, but it's not a deal breaker. I just can't go back to a four inch phone after using a dell streak and LG optimus vu.

Last edited:
Just to say this up front lest I start another Android phone v. iPhone debate: I have used both, and enjoyed both experiences

But on the subject of hardware. At the moment it makes more sense to write codes for Android apps in Java than in native codes. Which means it has to go through Dalvik. I know Google made serious effort in Project Butter to smoothen user experience, but having to go through a virtual machine seems like an innate hurdle for Android in this fierce competition.

Also, on the subject of security, a non-JB iPhone is more secure than a non-rooted Android phone. Yes, I know a lot can be done after rooting, but what about phones as-is?

Sometimes I feel like this comparison is moot because we are comparing two very different things, from design's POV. They are both called "phones," but they are more different than similar (IMHO).

na, cant stand rotting fermenting apple(s)

for the love of a god, you need to have a program called "Jail Break" on an iPhone to install non-market apps/

Back
Top Bottom