I am having trouble with Keys not working on my Laptop

chanchan79

Beta member
I am having some problems with My laptop computer that I spilled some water on with some keys not working like the Y Key , The T Key , the Caps Lock Key, The Shift Key and the Backspace Key. My laptop computer is a Dell Inspiron. Computer- What Can I do because I have no money to get this fixed at all with being unemployed?If you know the answers please message me.

Channing

If it were me, I would disassemble the keyboard, clean it, and anything else effected, dry it out, and put it back together. Cross my fingers when I powered on and hope thats it. The mother board is directly under the key board. Hopefully it did not effect it. You will need the manual for your laptop to see exactly how to get the keyboard off. Maybe the Dell site may have one. You can google for it also. Good luck.

I've heard packing it in rice helps. If not, just pick up a cheap USB keyboard.
That old trick doesn't always work. If you don't care about where you use it just set a keyboard and mouse and use it like other you will need to contact dell to replace it or have a look on eBay as they usually cheap replacement keyboards.

From the keys that are not working, it seems like it was quite a spill.

For spills, the routine is pretty much the same: power off ASAP; take it apart; clean and dry; put it back together; pray. There's no guarantee here.

Defective laptop keyboard keys are usually can't be repaired by cleaning or even disassembling the entire keyboard but that is at least based on my experience, correct me if I'm wrong and I won't argue. I think the best thing to do is to have Dell replace the keyboard but for the meantime you can use windows virtual keyboard by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking On-Screen Keyboard.

The damage would mainly be short circuit damage, which would happen almost immediately after the spill. So you are not wrong, but can't hurt to try. :)

...but for the meantime you can use windows virtual keyboard by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking On-Screen Keyboard.

Really...use the on-screen keyboard and type with his mouse? :facepalm:
While it will certainly "work" it's not a very practical answer. Replacing the keyboard sounds like it's out of the questions so a $5-$10 USB keyboard from WalMart or any big box store would be a much better solution.

If you live near a goodwill store, you can even pickup a used keyboard for less than $5.

Back
Top Bottom