How do you deal with stress?

If you think school is stressful, wait until you get out into the working world where people that pay you expect a lot for what they spend!

The way I deal with stressful situations is to just tell myself that everything will work out and things are rarely as bad as I think they are.

I lived in Japan for several years. In that time I learned many different ways to relieve stress.
1> Sex.*
2> Meditate
3> Go to a karaoke bar, get s**tfaced drunk and pretend you know how to sing.
4> More sex.*
5> Beat the living crap out of who's annoying you.
* Practice safe sex or it's no fun what happens next.
Here in the colonies I have kept up with 1, 2, 4, 5. I also took up some hobbies. Flying my RC quads gives me a break from the real world. Building computers is another one.

nice reply Seti
I personally drink some wine if i am feeling down.
If i get bored or stressed i ride my motorcycle.
Massage is also a good fix for stress.

Time management. I've worked engineering jobs, and I go to an engineering school, I work a research position, am part of an enterprise where we are building a hybrid electric 1950 Chevy Pickup, I am working on a senior design team where we are building adjustable height suspension, and I am a team leader in my enterprise so I have to organize projects for my team and help them, attend many meetings. I stay busy, but I also manage to have time to go skiing, snowmobiling, motorcycle rides, parties. All this on top of my classes...
I have friend's who are in similar situations with a slightly lower work load yet they always complain about being too busy to do anything. The reason I have time for the things I enjoy, when I want to is because I balance my schedule well. I am efficient and always try and produce quality work.

So I guess that's not really my way of handling stress, it's more of a way of avoiding it in the first place.

And the working world is a little easier in fact, unless you let your boss take advantage of you. I've worked for GM (engineering), an Oil Refinery(engineering), on a farm, in a school tech department, Americorps... One thing was the same in all of them. You put in your hours, and when you go home, you are free to do whatever you like. I loved that. Sure there are long days, but if you constantly are having long days, then you are either: A) being taken advantage of. B) making bank overtime. C) Not working efficiently enough D) You really love your job so you don't mind.

Back
Top Bottom