Hate Windows 8?

I have enjoyed many things on Win8 but User Customization is way at the bottom of that list, particularly since all the same customizable elements remain (in the Registry, and in the folder structures), but aren't allowed to have User Access to them. These have been user customizable since Win95 but now, Users must create themes or do repeated Registry twiddlings. Otherwise, I'm trying to learn to love Light-Cyan-on-White as a Button Highlight or a URL data-highlight.

I am glad that Win7 routine to remove the non-Latin fonts works, and there are several more on Win8 that can be included, so I'm not wasting time on Sinofsky's Love Of Fonts when I need to use my 30-40 'real' ones.

I also can't figure out where Win8 is leading us. We saw the loss-of-customizations start in Vista, then Win7, so Win8's far less user customization ability isn't shocking. Except that all the elements are still there - just unreachable. What's next? Will they actually streamline folder structures and get rid of the Start Menu folders?

Will they actually streamline the Registry to get rid of ACTIVE-TITLE-BAR-OUTLINE and hundreds of other screen-element entries?

Last edited:
I found 8 to be better than XP and Vista, 7 would be a close tie. The only problem with 8 is the desktop as an app. The desktop is to seperate from the real Windows apps. And the whole PC Settings app plus control panel? I think 2 apps to edit alike settings is unnecessary. But favorite part of the new Windows was the new task manager. It's more user friendly with 8, now including msconfig's startup menu in task manager.

I had vista on my old PC. It ran slow but I never had one problem with it. I have had this Windows 8 pc for 4 months and have already had to do full system reset through no fault of my own.
I am so close to moving to Linux.

Back
Top Bottom