Dual Boot

Ubuntu. Comes with a lot of great programs for free. To avoid wiping your HDD, like I did, just use the windows installer on Ubuntu's website or if you are installing something else try UNetBootin. Installing from a disc or USB can be tricky but useful.

I don't dual boot. However I have VMWare on my machine with various guest operating systems installed.

I've setup dual boot in the past multiple times. XP and Vista, XP an Ubuntu, XP and 7, 7 and Ubuntu, XP 7 and Ubuntu. I always just used my main OS and never booted into the other one(s) enough to bother keeping it. Now I just virtual any OS I want to try out on Virtual Box. Back when I dual booted I used EasyBCD to setup the boot menu so it wasn't using some default hard to understand or ugly menu.

I`ve dual booted before linux,windows 7/8 but you find you dont bother with the other o/s`s i am still learning so would some one explain the ins and outs of a virtual pc

I have booted linux mint within windows before.

Once i thought i could get by with linux on its own for what i use a pc for but i never got to grips with cameras and skype and no one else want to learn anything different

Cheers Elmo

so would some one explain the ins and outs of a virtual pc

Download Oracle Virtual Box then open the program up. Create a new virtual machine, and set the settings. If you have an ISO of an OS you can install directly from that, otherwise you can set it to install from the host optical drive. Then you turn the virtual machine on and it will start booting the OS install. Then just install the OS like you would on a real computer and when it's done it works like a computer. It's just something you have to play around with for a little bit.

I have been thinking of trying Zorin OS on my Acer desktop Zorin OS - Home, For the those who don't what it is, Its a mix of Windows, Mac OS X and Linux and you can customize it with both windows and linux option or what ever you like..

Back
Top Bottom