Ssd

SENCC

Solid State Member
So yesterday I had my first experience with a new gen SSD. I will say this now I am impressed with the performance advantage these drives give now. Last time I saw an SSD in a computer was a very very early netbook. Then SSD were in their infancy now the performance advantages these drives offer and reliability of said drives I feel that the next build I do I will be kicking out the cash for one or five lol. Current cost though per Gig is why I have been hesitant on upgrading but now I see that these little drives are worth it.

Actually didn't have one until now does performance go down with size of the drive?

Unless you buy a "cheap" SSD (i.e. lower quality, doesn't use a good controller or inferior chips) you'll never notice a large enough performance delta from the same maker. I've owned SSDs from all the major players, Intel being my favorite, next up would be either Corsair or Crucial/Micron.

what i like about SSD's is that you never have to defag them, unlike spindle drives, could take hours on big drives

I have 4TB of disk space, 4 1TB drives in a RAID 0 config, so to defrag all 4 drives take a day an half!

Now I know not to defrag ha, but on my custom rig I have 2tb hard drive and 128gb SSd for windows 8 and software that doesn't take up a lot like photoshop and I have games on the 2tb, the 2tb hard drive is in the 6gb slot

Pikachu how does your ssd speed compare to the speed of 4 disks in raid 0? I was thinking about picking up another pair of 1tb drives but didn't know if I should create a raid 5 for redundancy or keep it in raid 0 for speed.

tell me, if you lose your data will it end in tears?

Pikachu how does your ssd speed compare to the speed of 4 disks in raid 0?

i dont have SSD, but SSD's are faster since you dont have to wait for the read/write heads and motor RPM etc.. the data is stored in a chip.

Last edited:
Not likely to end in tears, for me at least, as I have the important stuff on the ssd. I was just looking for speeds to see if the speed increase was worth it, vs. raid 5 or 10, which have more safeguards.

Back
Top Bottom