Hi all i need some advice..

starrrie

Baseband Member
Hi all I am not really sure what to do right now as i recently send my computer for servicing and cleaning. The computer advisor told me to get another graphic card to improve the system and more future proof. The parts of my computer are as follows according to the shop :

1. Asus x79 sabertooth
2. Intel 3820 (4.6ghz)
3. Antec 750 gold
4. 16gb ram g.skill 1600 I think..
5. Asus 6950 2gb DCII ( the shop OC it to 850 core and 1126 for shaders) I don't really understand all these .. Sorry
6. Corsair H60
7. Fatality profression 5.1 sound card
8. Cooler master haf 912 adv (1 x 200mm fan) (2 x 120mm for the h60) (1 x 120mm @ the top of the casing) (1 x 120mm speed adjustable at the side casing)

Do I really need to buy another same graphic card ? If I need what brand should I get and what should I look out for ? (Example higher psu ?)

I really need advice from you. I got really good advice before when I posted here as I was recommended by some of my guys friends to look at forums or post for help.

Many thanks in advance.

I see. Thank you for the fast reply. But can I puts two cards for future proof ? Can my computer support or does it really make a big difference if I use two or one card ? Please advice thank you

There's no such thing as future proof. Tech speeds along so fast now you could buy a state of the art system and it'd be obsolete before you got it home and opened the box. Unless you play really high end games and/or do some serious graphics rendering, save your money and use what you have.

The only thing wrong with that card is that it's watt TDP is a bit high for the performance although it really isn't too bad. This is actually more of a reason not to get 2 of them.

using one card is much more stable than using two, especially when it comes to Radeon. If you are going to upgrade ever, I'd wait for the next GPU generation around early 2014 I believe although you probably won't need it since the 6950 is still a high end card. It ultimately depends on how hardcore you are about maxing out the graphics of high end games and/or if you are using a resolution higher than 1920x1200.

and yes, your rig is capable of handling SLI or Crossfire if that scrub advisor still convinces you into doing it.

Last edited:
the pattern is that the higher the watt TDP, the more watts your GPU will likely consume at load. As long as you aren't overclocking, actual watt consumption will never go over it's watt TDP but it can get kind of close.

now days, the watt TDP of GPU's around the same performance is about 150watts or so and for all I know it could be even less with the next generation graphics cards coming early 2014 or w/e.

personally, I just like to keep my energy consumption low if I can.

Back
Top Bottom