What in God's name just happened...

rmp5s1

Baseband Member
Just installed a an H70 on an AMD fx 81xx chip. If you need more info on all the hardware, lemme know.

Anyway, installed the cooler, did the moment of truth first boot and it booted...was running 9-12C according to Core Temp. VERY cool.

Cranked up linX and it ran for over 4 min. I turned around for 10-15 sec and, when I looked back, no joke Core Temp said 143C...0_0

"That can't be right..."

Stopped linX, temps quickly dropped back down to ~10C. As I sat amazed at what I just saw, I opened Core Temp to see the Max temp.

...TWO...HUNDRED...FIFTY...FIVE...

MAX OF 255C!!

I...just...I was shocked. Beyond shocked. I'm still amazed. The thing was running perfectly, too!

Then, *poof*...it turned off. Never to start again.

Power supply (Corsair 800W) light turns orange when the power supply is switched on, as soon as you push the power button, onoff...power supply light is red.

What...the...hell...just...happened...

I'm blown away right now. 40 - 142C in a second? 255C Max and still running? Is this real?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Hi rmp5s1

Sounds bad !, did you connect the pump power connector to a three-pin header ? because something was not working for your CPU to get that hot.

Hi rmp5s1

Sounds bad !, did you connect the pump power connector to a three-pin header ? because something was not working for your CPU to get that hot.

Yea! It was running VERY cool...then, all of a sudden it's nuclear, then...back down to very cool again. I mean...Could Core Temp be wrong?

Yea! It was running VERY cool...then, all of a sudden it's nuclear, then...back down to very cool again. I mean...Could Core Temp be wrong?

It is certainly possible for CoreTemp to be wrong.
It's by no means 100% accurate.

However it does appear that you have damaged something.

Perhaps the temp sensor was damaged by the very high heat of the CPU (Not necessarily 255) but hot enough to fry your CPU.

Hate to say it but this is kinda the reason I always go with AMD.
There was a video I watched once AMD Vs Intel.

They ran the CPUs then while running took the heatsink off, the AMD simply sat there and literally melted itself while the Intel decided it was too hot to run so begand running ridiculously slow and then crashed completely but was fine when the heatsink was put back on.

Double check that Core Temp is in fact in C° and not F°. Triple or quadruple check the connections everything with the H70.

Is it working now or will it still not turn on?

They ran the CPUs then while running took the heatsink off, the AMD simply sat there and literally melted itself while the Intel decided it was too hot to run so begand running ridiculously slow and then crashed completely but was fine when the heatsink was put back on.

These two statements contradict each other :lol:

Double check that Core Temp is in fact in C° and not F°. Triple or quadruple check the connections everything with the H70.

Is it working now or will it still not turn on?

These two statements contradict each other :lol:

Those 2 did contradict themselves...lol. All said, I too prefer Intel.

Core Temp is in C.

I'll go back through it and try to turn it on again on my lunch break. Will post results.

This still blows my mind...

Yeah... welcome to 10 years ago.

That's changed, AMD CPUs use the same thermal protection technologies for their new chips.

A power supply that doesn't turn on doesn't necessarily indicate a bad CPU (sometimes, not always).

In cases like this, unplug everything, hold in the power button, then let go and plug only the essentials back in. Power, Monitor, KB/Mouse.

If the same issue comes up, then look at other options.

I really doubt the AMD chip hit that high of a temp - the FX's will automatically shut off at a certain threshold, just like the Intel chips will throttle down / shut off as well.

Motherboard temperature monitoring whether in software or the BIOS are touchy at best - across both platforms. Pisses me off.

Yeah... welcome to 10 years ago.

That's changed, AMD CPUs use the same thermal protection technologies for their new chips.

A power supply that doesn't turn on doesn't necessarily indicate a bad CPU (sometimes, not always).

In cases like this, unplug everything, hold in the power button, then let go and plug only the essentials back in. Power, Monitor, KB/Mouse.

If the same issue comes up, then look at other options.

I really doubt the AMD chip hit that high of a temp - the FX's will automatically shut off at a certain threshold, just like the Intel chips will throttle down / shut off as well.

Motherboard temperature monitoring whether in software or the BIOS are touchy at best - across both platforms. Pisses me off.

Well...we tested the psu and I was fairly certain it was the MoBo/cpu. His new Z77 board and 3570K just got here today so...Yea. We'll see if it was the MoBo and/or cpu for sure tonight.

Back
Top Bottom