Windows 7 installation problem

user31415927

Solid State Member
Well, It's not so much a problem installing, as a problem with an installation, if that makes sense.
I bought a SSD to use for my OS, so, I just went ahead set up the disc, then stuck the Windows DVD in my comp to install Windows onto the SSD. (I was planning on formatting and erasing the original drive after, but wasn't too worried about living with a dual-boot for a while)
Anyway, it all worked fine, (albeit with the annoying dual-boot option to select at startup) until I added another drive. I could no longer boot. I checked bios, and the drive was still recognized, and still the selected boot-first drive.
Eventually, through a process of elimination, and much screwing around, I found the problem: I had unhooked the original drive as I had needed to borrow it's SATA power cable for the second drive I'd added.
Sooo, now I wanted to try re-installing Windows to the SSD with the original drive disconnected. I don't want to be forced to have that original drive connected for Windows on a different drive to work. I also want to format that original drive and use it purely for storage.
So I tried installing windows on the SSD with the original drive disconnected, but cannot boot from the DVD. I've yet to try it with the original drive re-connected, but I want to make sure I have a full, working OS on the SSD that is not reliant on the presence of another drive. What's up with all that? On XP you just picked a disc and stuck the OS on it and you could leave or remove any other discs with XP on them.

You changed the bios settings to boot from cd?
Yep. Also tried using the boot-order screen to do the same. For some reason, I can't boot off anything unless that old drive is in there. This is the first time I've just stuck an OS disc in and autoplayed it in windows. Normally, I'd set the comp to boot from disc and restart with the disc in there. I haven't tried booting from the disc with that old HDD connected, but I don't see why I should have to. Still, it seems like the next logical thing to try. If it works and boots from the disc, I may just wipe the old HDD first, then install Winows on the SSD again.

Yep. Can't boot off the disc no matter what. I'm pretty sure I did when I set up windows on my old drive...then again...maybe not. If the disc is not bootable, can I still install an independent Windows installation to my new drive without needing the old one? What if I start windows as normal. then yank the cables to the old drive once it's running, THEN run the install disc...?

Find a bootable Windows install disc and use that to install Windows to the SSD. Make sure the HDD is disconnected so that setup does not find the previous installation.

Find a bootable Windows install disc and use that to install Windows to the SSD. Make sure the HDD is disconnected so that setup does not find the previous installation.

I'm pretty sure it IS bootable. It's been so long since I used it to install Windows on my old drive, that I really don't remember. How would I know by looking at the files on it?

Back
Top Bottom