Compaq CQ40 gets stuck by touching a specific area

hihassan

Baseband Member
Hi,

I have 3 years old Compaq cq40, had a lot of problems which I sorted out but I can't sort out the cause of this very problem.

Whenever I touch the area highlighted in red, it gets stuck and have to re-start it again.

2hq5hev.jpg

I searched a lot but couldn't find anything of this sort.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Thanks.

Hiya hihassan

If you look at the exploded view, your manual is > Here No 5 is the Fan/Heatsink assembly (directly under were you indicated) I would ask someone who knows Laptops to have a look at the assembly for you.

000021_zpsad35f6c2.png

000022_zps0b28fcda.png

if the harddrive bay is right their then yes, it's the harddrive, could be the torque settings, I'm not sure, take it to the repairs or replace the HDD, but make sure the hdd bay is where you have the red ring.

I have HDD below the area, I just started my laptop after a few days and it doesn't hang anymore if I touch the area above my HDD... I'll see if after running the laptop for a bit makes it hang if I touch the area.

Thanks

Edit: After 5-10 mins, its the same thing again.

Last edited:
Loose connection on the hard drive. It is a user serviceable repair.
Take the HD bay door off. Take the screws out that hold the drive clamp on. Gently lift the end with the flat ribbon cable just a little bit. Press on the cable plug gently. Put the clamp back together and put the bay door back on.
Turn it over and fire it up.
I've seen this in laptop's that have been dropped on the opposite end. The drive connector slides back just enough that after warming up, a little pressure on the case is all it takes to cause it to drop out or lock up.

I have HDD below the area, I just started my laptop after a few days and it doesn't hang anymore if I touch the area above my HDD... I'll see if after running the laptop for a bit makes it hang if I touch the area.

Thanks

Edit: After 5-10 mins, its the same thing again.

Strange ! ... good luck with it babes :)

I got the HDD out and put some transparent tape on it over the area which touches the same highlighted area and now its working all fine for now... The tape is an insulator which is why it resolved the problem I think... Hope it keeps on working smoothly :D

Thanks a bunch :D

I got the HDD out and put some transparent tape on it over the area which touches the same highlighted area and now its working all fine for now... The tape is an insulator which is why it resolved the problem I think... Hope it keeps on working smoothly :D

Thanks a bunch :D

Well done you fixed it :cool:

Back
Top Bottom