DVI no output

rmp5s1

Baseband Member
What is with newer video cards with DVI outputs not showing the bios sometimes? I've noticed it on more than one machine. You have some kind of minor pre-boot error (eg "keyboard missing, press f1" or similar) or something but can't see it to fix it.

My desktop only has a single DVI out and, when I turn it on, it does nothing. I think I'm getting a bios error but don't see anything on the screen. Is there a way around this?

The bios is not where to look for whether you're having a problem with your vid card. The device manager is the place to go. If there's a yellow triangle with ! in it, then you have a problem.
Humor me and try this. Open it up and remove the vid card Then plug it back in. The wiper action of that will clean the contacts. Believe it or not sometimes it's just that simple.
If no joy there go in the bios and if your system has onboard video, switch over to that. Connect the monitor to that and reboot. If you can get your hands on a vid card for testing swap the card out and go from there.
Let us know what you find out.

The bios is not where to look for whether you're having a problem with your vid card. The device manager is the place to go. If there's a yellow triangle with ! in it, then you have a problem.
Humor me and try this. Open it up and remove the vid card Then plug it back in. The wiper action of that will clean the contacts. Believe it or not sometimes it's just that simple.
If no joy there go in the bios and if your system has onboard video, switch over to that. Connect the monitor to that and reboot. If you can get your hands on a vid card for testing swap the card out and go from there.
Let us know what you find out.

You've misunderstood me. The thing won't boot. I think it's getting hung up in the bios, like a power supply error or something like that since I had that happen earlier, but nothing is on the screen. Back in the VGA days, I never had this issue.

There is no video card. I'm running on board graphics.

Not sure 100% what you mean now after reading your last post.

You seem to be getting a blackscreen when you turn the computer on? correct?

Could actually be the memory, if you take one and and leave one in and try again..

Last edited:
All the computers I turn on that have a monitor connected via a DVI port show the POST screens (and errors after post if applicable). If it doesn't work you have something bigger than a keyboard error.

Since you said onboard, does your onboard also have a vga port? Plug that in. Does it work now? Might have to go into the BIOS and set the main video output to DVI or something. If not, unplug the computer and take out the BIOS battery for 30 seconds to a minute. Put it back in and plug it in. That should have reset the BIOS. Are you getting any beep codes. Try one stick of RAM at a time. Just throwing out a bunch of troubleshooting ideas I'd do based on what I understand you are saying.

Not sure 100% what you mean now after reading your last post.

You seem to be getting a blackscreen when you turn the computer on? correct?

Could actually be the memory, if you take one and and leave one in and try again..

Yup...That's right. Power stays on and all but it just sits there. No hdd access no nothing.

I forgot about that. I did move a ram sick so maybe that's it. I will check it out and post.

Thanks!

Yup! T'was a loose ram stick. Shoved it back in and it booted right up...then promptly froze and rebooted with a RAID error. ROFL

Well, at least that I can deal with. Thanks guys!

However...check out my other thread about my buddy's puter blowing up tonight! INSANE!

Back
Top Bottom