Looking Into Getting A New Router

Linksys used to be mine, but now I don't know if I will ever leave asus routers.

In terms of dependability I haven't had to powercycle it once in the last 4-6 months (not quite sure when I got it) because it had slowed down which I would have to do at least bi-monthly due to overloading all of my previous routers.

The firmware interface took a bit of getting used to, but for most people who don't need to port forward or manually assign IPs to most of their computers basic setup is simple. Once you know where everything is, it's just like programming any other router.

Signal wise, I've had no issues at my parents or at my own apartment. My parents have 3 setup - two of which are in the basement (mostly to be used as switches, but also as WiFi points to combat all of the interference down there). The router in middle of the first floor blankets that floor and the second floor beautifully with both the 2.4 and 5Ghz signals.

I am hoping to be able to clear a deadspot in my sisters room where you she only gets 2-3 bars, 4 if she's lucky.

I'm not sure that I'd call 2-3 bars a dead spot. Usually that's still pretty good.

What is your signal like? It is possible that she has interference that you don't.

What is your signal like? It is possible that she has interference that you don't.

Yeah I can get 4 mostly 5 bars in my room, rumpus where I am fairly close to the router. She is further away from the router than me and I think the wall has something to do with it.

Walls and what's inside them can make a huge difference. It is entirely possible that a new router will not be able to overcome that wall, assuming that is the problem.

Apparently there is water pipes there which could have something to do with it. I was thinking of getting an old router and connecting it to the current one with the current routers settings and using it as an extender but I don't think that would make much difference otherwise I would get one that plugs into the power point.

Back
Top Bottom