Machine suddenly powers down

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have a desktop machine that has been reported to have suddenly power off at random times.

Last time it happened was about a day ago but sometimes it will go for a few weeks without any problems.

I have checked with speedfan the temps and they look really good (about 25 - 30 degrees idle)

I have had a look in the event log and nothing seems to be apparent and i have also downloaded bluescreenview and looked at 3 bsod minidumps however these do no relate to the same time that the sudden power downs happen.

Im thinking its the PSU going bad but just wondered what everyone else thinks before i swap the psu over.

Assuming no bulging/burst capacitors on the motherboard or video card I would agree with it likely being the PSU.

the three BSOD was caused by the intel graphics driver so i have uninstalled and updated these chipset drivers direct from their website, Dont know if that was related to the sudden power offs but sorted it anyway.

Checked for capacitors (board only 2 years old) and cant see any damaged or bulging.

Stress testing it now to see if i can get it to power off.

Just looking at the action centre and under report recent problems with you pc is listed at least 20 - 30 of the same problem relating to the Intel graphics driver failing.

The dates are very frequent but none are logged for the other day. Earliest was 05/02/13.

Now I have reinstalled with latest Intel drivers these should stop.

This is possibly the cause to my problems.

I will send back and give a few weeks for testing and then if we still have issues i will pop a new PSU in.

Thanks guys for the support.

Back
Top Bottom