Operating System Criticism

It came without service pack, after SP1 everything got worse and the less we talk about how the SP2 worked with my old lap, the better :lol:
The performance of the OS improved a bit but still took a while to boot the OS (2 minutes or so).

I don't want to flame but for a good windows edition since Windows 98SE the next becomes a catastrophe:

- Win 98SE good
- Win ME bad
- Win XP good
- Win Vista bad
- Win 7 good
- Win 8 ...
:angel:

add windows 95 = good
windows 98 (first edition) = bad

to that list too. (it is a bit of a pattern).
window 3.11 was pretty good too. so there wasn't always a pattern.

We can extend that with the following criticisms too.

NT3.5 = bad
windows NT4 = good
windows 2000 = bad.

actually windows 2000 was great at what it did well.

But.
after windows 95, then windows 98 and windows 98SE did so well someone at MS realised that people seemed to love editions of windows named after years.

windows NT3 and windows NT4 were technically better than either 95 or 98, but home users believed that they were for business and hardly anybody used those OS's at home.

Windows NT5, was therefore renamed windows 2000 as an attempt to get home users to buy it.
and the last DOS based OS was not called windows 2000 (as it should have been to continue the 95 - 98 trend.) but was instead set-up to fail by calling it windows ME.

because Microsoft knew that people liked the year naming scheme.

windows 2000 was a business OS, it wasn't well suited to the home environment, if you list it alongside 95 and 98 it sucked. it didn't cope well with games, or joy sticks, or obscure TV tuner cards, or video cards, or weird MIDI cards, or weird sound cards, or anything else that home users really wanted to use
if you put it next to NT3 and NT4 it was pretty good. -especially in a work environment.

Windows ME sucked, but it's pretty important to realise a big part of the reason it sucked is it was set-up to fail because Microsoft knew it was abandoning the DOS kernel before ME was even released. -which explains why support not only sucked but was short lived from MS, it explains why third parties couldn't be bothered to write drivers. the DOS memory management (or lack thereof) explained why blue screens appeared so frequently.

It came without service pack, after SP1 everything got worse and the less we talk about how the SP2 worked with my old lap, the better :lol:
The performance of the OS improved a bit but still took a while to boot the OS (2 minutes or so).

I don't want to flame but for a good windows edition since Windows 98SE the next becomes a catastrophe:

- Win 98SE good
- Win ME bad
- Win XP good
- Win Vista bad
- Win 7 good
- Win 8 ...
:angel:

The service packs had to be installed correctly or they did give you fits. If you didn't clean out the registry and clean up the system in general, you were just asking for it to screw up. There were tut after tut after tut that went in to detail on how to do it right.
The packs added a lot of reg entries and services and you did have to take a sec to tweak the services.
How come I never seem to have problems with those same OS's, XP and Vista like some of you seem to have?

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

i use windows vista.

the gui is slow as a snail.

want to upgrade to 7 or 8. just need to find 350 bucks to get a 25 digit product key.

If you're a student and the school is in the student purchase program you can get win7 for as little as 35 dollars

Just got a new Hp laptop with win8 basic,now updated to win8 pro with media.Looking for something to dislike,could dis-like Nortons but have already uninstalled it.Give it some time,your just never know....lol

If you're a student and the school is in the student purchase program you can get win7 for as little as 35 dollars

Yah its free for me on microsoft dreamspark.

win 8 pro $0

all micosoft programs (os word etc...) are FREE

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom