Something not covered by Da Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I am putting together a new computer system. I have a nice digital camera that I will use to document every step of the way. I don't build systems too often but when I do they're hot rods and they are assembled the right way.
What would take normally 2 hours start to log in, because of how I stop to snap pics and document what's going on, could take a couple of days.
Let me cut to the root of my concern.
I see you fixed the albums issue we talked about a while back. But the size restrictions on the uploaded pics are too small to be able to see fine details. Need larger pics. And since I've inadvertently burned my bridges with some of the pic hosting sites the only alternative is to host the build thread at my anime site. I can't host the pics and burn up my bandwidth posting them over here. And I can do a lot more with my VB4 setup as in formatting the thread.
So would it be ok to just link over to the thread at my place and post updates to the thread? I'm wanting to share the build but just want to do it my way. :hide:
Comments?

Last edited:
I am putting together a new computer system. I have a nice digital camera that I will use to document every step of the way. I don't build systems too often but when I do they're hot rods and they are assembled the right way.
What would take normally 2 hours start to log in, because of how I stop to snap pics and document what's going on, could take a couple of days.
Let me cut to the root of my concern.
I see you fixed the albums issue we talked about a while back. But the size restrictions on the uploaded pics are too small to be able to see fine details. Need larger pics. And since I've inadvertently burned my bridges with some of the pic hosting sites the only alternative is to host the build thread at my anime site. I can't host the pics and burn up my bandwidth posting them over here. And I can do a lot more with my VB4 setup as in formatting the thread.
So would it be ok to just link over to the thread at my place and post updates to the thread? I'm wanting to share the build but just want to do it my way. :hide:
Comments?

I agree, the sizes are too small. They have to be bigger, so you can catch the detail better.

interesting question...

if you had adverts on your site then it's be commercial and covered by this rule:

>NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links, chain letters, pyramid schemes or direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what sized pictures you're thinking you need to photo-blog a machine build.

But I can't see that what you intend to do would be against the rules.

It's a not for profit hobby forum. No ads. I pay every thing out of pocket.
The reason mainly is I just finished a skin for my place that floats out to fit the width of the viewing screen. Pics get resized on the fly to fit accordingly. I take 1920 by 1080 sized pics of the item and upload them. When I link to them in the thread they bloom out to fit. Besides I have a blog and that's most likely where it will wind up. VB4 is just more feature packed than VB3. I can do a lot more over there than I can here.
BUT
I just wanted to make sure doing it that way was cool over here. I have the case, cpu, and motherboard with the rest enroute this afternoon. And to be blunt, I'm chomping at the bit to get cooking.

Comments?

the size restrictions on the uploaded pics are too small to be able to see fine details. Need larger pics

79-picture-motherboard-batteru0058-580x358.jpg

81-0707-step8.jpg

80-lian-li-pc-a01-custome-computer-cases.jpg

What details can you not see or explain?

...burned my bridges with some of the pic hosting sites the only alternative is to host the build thread at my anime site. I can't host the pics and burn up my bandwidth posting them over here.

Great thing about capitalism and the internet. There's plenty

I can do a lot more with my VB4 setup as in formatting the thread.
[...]
VB4 is just more feature packed than VB3

We get it... and I agree with a majority of members who want VB4 back here.

So would it be ok to just link over to the thread at my place and post updates to the thread? I'm wanting to share the build but just want to do it my way.

IMHO
If you're hosting the images on a someone else's site, wouldn't it at least be courteous to make them a usable post with the digital content they pay to store? A thread with a link to a different site using the content seems like a pretty 'scumbag steve' thing to do.

:flowers:

I agree, the sizes are too small.

For the purpose of a technically based forum they're fine; They have not been an issue for the past n years...

if you had adverts on your site then [...] this rule:

[...]

But I can't see that what you intend to do would be against the rules.

No ads. I pay every thing out of pocket.

There's technically nothing wrong with it ATM.

I don't however, agree with changing the size limit or the content being 'featured' on a different site.

Seti, your right, the other thing I'm have a little problem with, is that you can only post three pictures in a post. (including smiley faces) So I think that should be changed too.

I am putting together a new computer system.
Comments?

Congrats on th eimpending build - it sounds like good fun and always noce to have near gear ;)

The best hlep you could be would be to start a new build thread to document the new rig and include lots of pics and step by step details. Others can learn that way and the thread is easily searchable. It's alos a good venue for folks to ask questions if they have any.

Seti, your right, the other thing I'm have a little problem with, is that you can only post three pictures in a post. (including smiley faces) So I think that should be changed too.

Currently you can attach 20 images, even though 3 upload windows appear. You can upload 3 and then do it again and again. We can raise the number of windows that display but were finding that if folks upload 20 large images at once they sometimes get throttled locally and then beleive the board is broken. There is no limit on image size specifically but as a courtesy to others who may have slower connection images under 2 Mb would be best.

Never mind. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Come on bro, don't be like that. You know I'm trying to be objective here...

It wasn't a waste of time and like I said, there's nothing against the rules so you can certainly do it. You asked for comments so I just replied with what came to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom