Please check out my e-portfolio

ComputerGirl90

In Runtime
Hello everyone!! Please check out my e-portfolio and tell me what you think!!!

LINKED REMOVED. As seti says that's not the best thing to be posting out on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you have LifeLock and a big mean dog, because it's very unwise to put your full name, street address, city, state, zipcode, phone number, and e-mail in a public domain.
Be sure to make sure all your windows and doors are locked tonight.

As mentioned, take your address and phone number down! (I know the link's been removed from here, but still not a good idea to have it online.) It's not expected or required on a CV, and companies will use email to contact you if they wish to.

If you do that then personally I'd he happy to give you some advice I'm more detail.

Last edited:
What I think...
Take down your email address, you only invite spam.
take down the email addresses of your references, they don't want spam from email harvesting bots either.
take down your home address, it's somewhere between crazy and stupid to post such personal details on line.

pick a single reference from your college, not three from the same place, especially since you have actual work references available.

Your certificate section.
is perfect attendance really something that you need to brag about? you managed to turn up everyday? well done? but why only for the 1st and 5th semester, I guess you had quite a few sick days then?

sometimes saying nothing is better than saying something. e.g. only having perfect attendance in two semesters highlight gaps more than they highlight that you can be there reliably.

your programming lab work looks like a photo of a textbook. it has no context, if you want to highlight your lab work then do it properly, show the problem and discuss how you reached the solutions,

your cabling project is four network cables, I can't quite tell if this is meant to link to some kind of massive data centre cabling project, or does it show that you can work a cable crimping tool?

Likewise I'm unsure what your soldering workshop pictures show, if you're showing soldering skills, then surely you should show the soldered side of the board, not the top with the components?

with the CV core competencies
What exactly is understands how to make and use an IP address meant to mean? surely this comes under the earlier mentioned competency of networking protocols.

You mention programming in visual studio, but programming what, and in what language?
given the amount of languages that can be used in visual studio this explains not a lot about what you can do.

I don't understand what you're looking for with this CV.
the random and sporadic nature of the skills listed make it seem like you don't understand what you're on about.

you list that you know about networking protocols, including network layouts and structures, (good)
you mention local area network and metropolitan area network design. (good).
then you mention that you know what an IP address is and know how to use one? (wtf)

to me that information is pretty superfluous, if you genuinely have experience of network design then it's pretty obvious that you have knowledge of IP addresses.
if you think that knowing what an IP address is is a genuine achievement, then it seems that you may be exaggerating your network design knowledge.

With past job experience, are you sure you mean sales repressive, and not sales representative?

finally your welcome page, (which I imagine would be a personal statement on a CV says, (give or take) nothing about you...

I'm not sure if it is normal in the US, but in the UK with past jobs it's usual to list what your responsibilities in the role was, also your reasons for leaving.

I'm not trying to ruin your day / piss on your chips / rubbish your work...

I'm just thinking that the job market is very competitive at the moment, I can't see you getting a lot of response from this CV because it doesn't say a lot about you, or your experiences in a coherent way.

Given that your skills seem to take three separate paths, (networking/coding/physical electronics assembly) you may do well to try writing three different CVs each tailored to appeal to employers from the field. that way, when you're applying for a tech job wanting to cable data centres, your potential employer isn't wondering why they are looking at code, and picture of circuit boards.

I was going to hold off a bit until the address was perhaps removed, but since root has got there, I'll add a few of my thoughts, reiterating two things - that I agree with pretty much all he's pointed out there, and that I'm not trying to rubbish what you've done, just help make you more attractive to potential employers.

Before jumping in with some comments though, I'm going to firstly re-iterate what root said in that you need to decide who exactly this is aimed at. If I'm applying for a job in a pharmaceutical company, then I'll expand and show off the experience I have working in that particular area - if I was applying to a job in academia, I might play that down a bit and instead talk about my (ongoing) research in that field, and how much I thrive on doing that. Some things that would barely make it onto my CV, such as being competent with a number of sound / lighting desks, would be hugely bumped to the top if I was considering applying for a programming job with Avolites for example. You shouldn't just have one generic CV - doing that makes it look like you've just sent out 500 generic CVs to loads of companies, which is an instant turn off to all of them.

Likewise, think about the format a bit. I would argue against using such an online platform at all, if you just direct companies to a website with a generic CV and covering letter it looks like you don't really care about them specifically. It also gives you one more thing to worry about maintaining, and companies will generally judge a shoddy looking website much more than they would a CV with basic layout. You may see some people advertising in this way online, but these are usually big name programmers with impressive resumes - the sort that don't need to care about companies specifically because the companies will be competing to hire them. You have to work long and hard, be very good at what you do, and be perhaps a bit lucky, to ever get to that stage.

Instead, use something like word (or whatever you choose) to generate a good looking CV and covering letter, and then send it as a PDF document (or perhaps two separate documents, ask the company what they would prefer.) This has a number of advantages - it looks much more professional, you can pretty much guarantee it'll be consistently displayed across all systems (not necessarily the case with word documents) and if a company is going to accept a CV and resume for an application rather than insisting you fill out an online form, you can be pretty sure PDF will be a preferred format.

Anyway, onto the content. Your profile page says the following:
Greetings Programs!!
I am a student at ITT Technical Institute, my major is IT CNS - Information Technology, Computer Networking Systems
It also contains a couple of images, you quote "from google.com".

This is, to be blunt, an awful first introduction to *you*, which as root says is what it's meant to be about. It doesn't even make sense - "greetings programs"?! Scrap the images and big blue font, companies looking at this won't care, and write a decent paragraph or so about *you*, what makes you tick, why you're interested in the sort of jobs you're aiming for and so on (this is where it pays to be specific, because if you're applying for a particular job you'd really narrow it down and talk about the specific company and role at this point.) And whatever happens, make sure you use proper spelling and grammar, and that what you've written portrays you as a professional.

In terms of the resume page, as we've said already remove your details - I'd slightly disagree with root in that your email address is good to put on (but this applies much more when you're applying to specific companies rather than posting something online.) And choose a better font that's not all in capitals, it makes for much easier reading and again looks much more professional. Tahoma is a good choice, it's not bog standard Arial but still looks neat, tidy and professional. Avoid comic sans at all cost.

On to the content:
A dynamic college graduate seeking a career in a stable business company with a good working environment. Knowledgeable with various operating systems and computer hardware.
Not bad, it's short and to the point. You could go into a bit (but not too much) more detail here, again what you embellish on will depend on your target audience.

The core competencies however could do with much more work, they're a bit all over the place.
Efficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Access, Excel, and Power Point
Powerpoint should be one word, and proficient would be much better than efficient.
Understanding of Basic Cabling
This doesn't mean anything. What type of basic cabling? Telephone systems? Electrical wiring? Lan cabling? Running electric fence cables? And what does basic mean in this context?
Setting up computers with operating systems
What operating systems? Setting them up how?
Have knowledge of Microsoft Windows 7 and Vista
This should be a given really - if you think you're an expert user, then I'd explicitly say this, otherwise leave them out.
Knowledge of Windows Server 2008
What in particular? Does this imply a knowledge of setting up domains, authentication servers and so on, or just that you can install and use it like you can Vista and 7? If it's the latter, drop it.
Simple computer repairs
Like what? Software or hardware? Be much more explicit, or drop it.
Networking Protocols ~ Network layouts and structures
What protocols? If I saw this on a CV, it would suggest to me that the applicant *doesn't* have a strong knowledge of networking protocols, otherwise I'd expect to see some listed. Something like "Strong grounding in OSI 7 layer model, TCP/IP stack and common network topologies, including ring, token and bus."
Strong Communication Skills
Yeah yeah, everyone puts this, but leave it to last on the list for this reason. It's just expected.
Understands how to make and use IP Address
Again, if I saw this on a resume it would suggest the opposite to me, it suggests a poor understanding of the process involved. I'd expect to see something along the lines of "Full understanding of IP address allocation, both IPv4 and IPv6, across a number of different topologies. This includes a strong grounding in DHCP."
System Security such as Virus and Security Breaches
Again, way too vague. Similar to the examples I've given above, either impress with your deep knowledge of the specifics, or leave off altogether.
Microsoft Exchange 2010 and Outlook
Include this when you're talking about office, no need to list separately.
LAN and MAN - basic study
Again, expand or drop.
Programming using Visual Studio 2010
Root's already said this, but it tells the reader nothing. If I was looking for someone in a programming role and the only programming thing on the CV I saw was this, it'd go straight in the bin. Expand on what language you've used, what projects you've created, what aspects of the language you have strong knowledge on, and so on.
Red Hat Linux
What about it, can you just install it? Are you comfortable using it from a shell? Can you set it up and run it as a headless file server, or a LAMP stack? This just tells me that you've heard of red hat Linux and may have poked around with it a bit.

Listing your achievements is usually good, but as root said don't list ones that would be expected of you generally, like turning up on time, especially if there's gaps in that record - you may as well say "didn't have a perfect record of attendance." Don't show photographs of the certificates either, just list the achievements by the relevant education / job role. If employers want proof, they'll ask for it later regardless of whether those photos are there.

You also say references available on request, but then list 3 referees on another page? Say one or the other (and just having them on request is preferable so again, you can tailor them to the particular employer who may be enquiring.)

In terms of the created works section, drop it. You don't need photos, unless you really are an exemplary solder or master welder (school projects don't count though.) Instead, include these skills / projects in your main CV. You might list "Confident with crimping together CAT5E - RJ45 cables" as a basic ability for instance, but it doesn't warrant a picture. Likewise for soldering skills.

I'll come back to reiterating what I said to start with though - this is ultimately the wrong platform to use for showcasing your work. If you're hell bent on just doing it online, at least scrap the custom web page and use a service like linked in that employers actually look at - but that's no replacement for a well written, custom CV and covering letter tailored to the particular role and company for which you're applying.

New thread merged with old thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this was re-posted I'll key in this time, but it looks like I'll just be saying a lot of what's already been said.

First making your personal info available to random strangers on a forum is never a good idea. Odds are you'll get more spam and your imagination can be used to find a true worst case.

Then to look at the portfolio as someone who does interviews for both interns and full-timers on my development team:

First - the greeting page. It just does not look professional. If I had looked at other people's pages or Resumes prior to seeing yours I would stop at "greetings programs" and move on to someone else. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to get a feel for your personality but there are ways to do it while making me feel like you'll be able to be a professional - even if it's as lax as many it companies tend to be (and I say that as someone who's able to wear jeans and a t-shirt to work).

Also, the images are not form google.com You don't site the search engine, but rather the site that Google found it on. If looking for a developer this would send me a serious red-flag like you didn't know how to properly credit a source. If a third-party library was needed I'd be worried that you'd site google for the dll/jar/whatever that was needed in the documentation instead of the proper source which could lead to big issues if not corrected early on.

The Resume. What defines a stable business? In this economy that's pretty rare, and in this field even less so (mergers, sudden strong competitors etc). Do not abbreviate things without defining them first. In larger companies, an HR rep will likely read through to narrow down the list of candidates before sending everything to the teams. They might now know what an IP is, or what "LAN and Man" is. Heck, I don't even know what LAN and Man is. Also, to echo Berry, explain the red hat linux part. What do you do with it? Can you just install it, or would you be competent enough to use it as your work station for all of your tasks? Then there is the Visual studio comment as well. What language did you use? If I'm looking for a C# developer but you only used it for visual basic you're not what I'm looking for and an interview to learn otherwise would just be a waste of both of our time. In that case you're better off stating what languages you're experienced with and not mention the IDE at all. The only time an IDE or specific compiler should come up IMO is when you want to show that you've used multiple as that diversity makes you more apt to adapt to whatever we use.

As a final point on the resume, lose the all caps font. It does not help you and just makes it seem like every last word is overly important. Typically grammar rules should apply.

The created works section needs 1 of 2 things to be done to it if it were to impress me as a potential employer. First would just be to do away with it as it tells me nothing. The second option is to expand upon it. The programming lab work I can't even read on my monitor here at work so how can I see that you're a good programmer? The best thing to do is take one of your best projects throw the source code, any needed third party libraries and instructions on how to compile it in a zip. I should not need to have a specific compiler/IDE to compile it either - unless it's an OS-specific program I should be able to take something you did and compile it in any OS successfully without doing anything but extracting the zip. Pair this, with an explanation of the program, why you created, what it's supposed to do and what you learned along the way and then you have my attention.

The cables are hard to see, I can't tell if they are actually something you made or a stock picture of something that was taken from Google. If I was looking to hire you as a network tech I'd want to see a close up of the ends to see how well you did, and would ask why the strings were not cut.

Same principal with the soldering workshop. There's no explanation to what it is, or what you had to do nor can we see any of the solder joints for the chips or LEDs.

Certificates: As root said, drop the perfect attendance. It does nothing to help you and only makes people wonder why there isn't more of them. Otherwise, the different angles just bother me and the glare on some of them just looks bad. If you decided to keep this page, you would be better off scanning them in and posting the scanned picture for consistency and a cleaner picture.

References: Pick one of your professors. Three from the same source only tells me that you've pleased people at one location. Many places that I applied to won't even accept a professor response as all it tells them is you know how to please a boss. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem calling one but also give me other non-related people who can attest to your character and the kind of person you are - professors and old bosses usually cannot provide this information.

For the record: people that school that I attend demands that my information be up there because I am looking for work. As for my awards my of classmates got jobs even with a perfect attendance award because it shows a company that you care about your life studies and that you take it seriously. So don't be criticizing me for my awards and yes I like to show off my successes

Back
Top Bottom