Trying to boot 98/95 from newer PC

Vacuumfan7072

In Runtime
Whenever I try to boot from a newer PC (3 GHz, 1.62GB RAM) that runs XP, I get the following message:
"Insufficient memory to initialize Windows."
This confuses me, for there is plenty of memory to initialize Windows. Maybe it is too large an amount?
I'll try removing most of the RAM so there is only 128 MB RAM. (The 1gb and 512mb.)
However, with 128 MB RAM, the integrated POST indicator keeps failing at C1, and the hard drive's integrated LED light keeps on flashing, possibly indicating that the hard drive is also resetting.
THEN, I inserted a Corsair XMS module and I heard sparks and smelt burnt metal. In emergency, I switched off the PSU. I removed the soon-overclocked RAM module and it smelt suffocating. Now two of the terminals are burnt off. To my surprise, the RAM slot, however, was not burnt. However, I did not have this issue with an HP 4440 that primarily runs Windows Millennium. However, I plan on using Virtual PC with Windows 95, 98, and 2000.

Sir, you are a menace! :)

You are getting the error message because you have more than 1 GB RAM.

Go under your Windows directory. Find system.ini. Find [386Enh]. Under which, add:
MaxPhysPage=30000

Then save and reboot.

Virtual Box is the way to go. I can't imagine you would be using it as a main OS anyway.

I found the issue:
The RAM module was not inserted all the way. However, the motherboard may still be overclocked.

1.62 GM RAM is still more than 1 GM RAM though, so you still have to add that line! :)

Back
Top Bottom