MEM Test errors

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
Hi, i have a machine with 2 x 4GB ddr3 ram.

Recently been BSOD every now and then so ran a scan using memtest86

With both sticks in every test it done it was counting errors (not just ever now and then but i mean going up by the hundreds at a time)

So pulled one stick out and tested just the one stick in the first slot.

Passed. So i thought, ok well its the second stick.

So to confirm i Put the second stick into the first slot and removed the first stick.

Redone test and the test passed ???

Ok so the last solution could be that the second slot is bad.

So put the module that failed the first test into the second slot and got an error count of 1 at 55%.

I really dont know what is wrong here. a temperamental slot or faulty stick ?

Luckily i have 2 spare slots right next to it so i might transfer both over and then keep a memtest running overnight.

UPDATE !

after some long testing i have found that when I put both sticks of Ram in together i get errors.

However it DOES matter what slot they are in if i get errors or not.

Slot 2 and slot 4 are causing me majour problems it seems.

I have put both sticks in slot 1 and 3 and its half way through first test with no problems.

When i test the sticks individually on sockets 2 and 4 it also throws errors back at me.

Trouble is i can no longer do dual channel now that slots 2 and 4 are playing me up.

This seems strange to me that the second of each dual channel socket has issues.

Any updates on the remainder of your second test? It could be that either slot 2 or slot 4 has some problems. Sounds like the RAM itself is okay, since you've tested them separately and no errors resulted.

Yes, ran some more tests and found that slot 1 and slot 3 are completely fine.

So slot 2 and 4 are causing issues.

Memtest was running all night and reported no errors at all on both sticks.

Stress tested it all day today and no crashes or BSOD. Working perfectly.

Only problem is I cant use dual channel as the two defected slots are different colours meaning the two remainder are on separate channels.

Is your mobo still under warranty? if so, I'd get in touch with the manufacturer (or the store you purchased it from) and see if you can work out an RMA or an exchange for it. That'd be your best bet at this point (unless there is an underlying issue).

Keep in mind, though, that the lack of dual-channel RAM isn't going to kill you. There are a few articles both here and on other forums that discuss the actual speed differences you should expect/see.

I honestly wouldn't stress over it. Unless the 8GB of ram you're currently running is inadequate, I'd just continue to run it the way you're currently set up. Save the time, money, and headache for your future build.

Back
Top Bottom